I made Zach’s La Bomba this weekend. It’s not on schedule for HCB until 2 weeks from now but I’m trying to bake ahead.
Don’t look to closely at the bomba, as it’s far from smooth! So unlike the book’s or Matthew’s perfect replica.
Not smooth because it’s partially my fault. I want to make 1/2 recipe but don’t have small pyrex bowl. I have pyrex containers but they’re kinda square. In the end I use 2 ceramic bowls and a very small pyrex container. I thought of lining the ceramic bowls with foil & plastic wrap (Anne’s sugggestion). Actually staarted doing this, but then I thought the creases around the bowl will make the impression in the mousse. So I scratched that idea and just spray the bowl well and proceed.
This recipe takes a long time. I made everything (except the glaze) on Friday night and it took me 3 hours. I followed the recipe exactly including buying the very expensive Valrhona Manjari.
Some issues: For the sabayon, Rose said to melt the cream with V. Manjari over hot not simmering water, I did this and by the time the chocolate was almost melted it started separating. I actually see the oil that was cocoa butter oozing out. Since I still have enough chocolate, I started over. This time disregarding her instrution of hot water and reduce the temperature of the water. I even took the bowl (I use metal bowl) off the heat several times, while continue whisking. It didn’t separate like before but it was almost there - the mixture looks very glossy. I added a couple of tablespoon of cold cream, hoping it will look better but it didn’t. The sabayon turned out well though. I used my hand mixer and crank it up. It did double in volume, though the temperature didn’t quite get as high as 170 degrees (more like 115-120). I have to admit after the incident with the chocolate I was afraid, so I only use medium heat.
Completing the mousse, I had to melt the rest of the V. Manjari with the cream. This is a much bigger amount of chocolate. Again, the instruction said to use hot, not simmering water. I use lower heat because I didn’t want it to separate. In addition, I put a small portion of the chocolate aside (to be added after everything is melted), and again the chocolate threatened to separate. Even after the addition of the extra chocolate, it still looked glossy. I really don’t know what I did wrong.
Side note: For the cake I used Schaffenberger bittersweet and melting it the same way and I didn’t have any issue.
Even with all the issues with chocolate, the completed mousse turned out fine. And super yummy. I used blackberry tea from Teavana (it’s green tea, unfortunately, but can hardly taste the green part), and steep 5 frozen blackberry in the tea - making it extra fruity.
Unmolding the bomba was problematic, both for the ceramic bowls and the pyrex cup, though the pyrex cup was a tad easier. Making the lacquer glaze was not hard. Though absentmindedly I forgot that I have to strain it the 2nd time, so there’s little specks on the mini bomba.
Tastewise, this is delicious! It’s very fruity and very rich. I’m glad I only made 1/2 recipe as we can only eat a small slice at a time.
And finally, I apologize for such a long post!!! But this cake takes 4 hours so I suppose it makes sense to have a wordly post (plus I have to rant about my chocolate issues )