Tahitian vanilla Cordon Rose cheesecake!
Posted: 02 May 2011 05:39 PM   [ Ignore ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  144
Joined  2010-05-24

I found a pretty good deal for Tahitian vanilla beans from Spun Sugar in Berkeley (5 for $10) and thought that it would be perfect in Rose’s cheesecake! I used half the bean in the cheesecake and the other half in the genoise base. I even threw in the scraped pods in the butter for the genoise while I was browning it. For both recipes, I still decided to use some vanilla extract but just halved the amount. The genoise was actually a failed one. It came out flat, dense, and rubbery, but it was so soft and moist after soaking up the cheesecake juices! Don’t throw out your failed genoise!

Anyway, I think my vanilla beans are a little mild. Next time, I’ll use the whole bean in the cheesecake and not split it up amongst the genoise. Maybe I might reduce the lemon juice in the cheesecake too. The tartness seemed to overwhelm the vanilla a bit. Here are the photos!

http://www.facebook.com/media/set/fbx/?set=a.10150177315124767.323888.517859766&l=bc601c7030

I was also looking at some of the cheesecake variations, and the banana cheesecake sounds interesting. Has anyone thought about lining their cheesecake pans with banana leaves instead of parchment? It might be perfect for a banana cheesecake.

Posted: 02 May 2011 06:00 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3132
Joined  2010-04-25

Hi, Michael!

That’s a beautiful—and from the looks on the faces of your pals—much beloved cheesecake!  It looks so light and airy!!

The genoise looks so pretty as the base!

—ak

Posted: 03 May 2011 02:38 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4746
Joined  2008-04-16

M, it looks great!  I love how you presented the cake, with the crossed tahitian beans and the orchid, very elegant.  And so great to use your genoise as a base.

Signature 

B&T Blog:  Ultimate Cinnamon Rolls

Posted: 03 May 2011 09:17 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1534
Joined  2011-02-17

Beautiful! Your cake makes a grand presentation

‹‹ Zach’s La Bomba      Piping Practice ››