Lemon Meringue Pie Size
Posted: 04 May 2011 02:52 AM   [ Ignore ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  378
Joined  2010-04-09

Hi, I’m planning to make the Lemon Meringue Pie from the PBB tomorrow night.  Do you know if the ingredients make enough filling to fill a deep dish 9” pie pan?  The recipe only indicates a normal 9” pan, but it seems like with 8 egg yolks and 2 1/2 cups of water, this would make a generous batch.  I have a couple of those Emile Henry pie pans which I would love to use, but they are pretty big for mos pie recipes.  Thanks!

Posted: 04 May 2011 04:37 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  25
Joined  2009-10-06

When I made this pie a standard 9 inch Pyrex pie pan was fine.

I also found this correction to the recipe in the PPB on the blog for the Lemon Meringue Pie.
“In the LEMON MERINGUE PIE on page 178 under “make the filling,” do not use a double boiler and be sure to bring the egg mixture to full boil to ensure that it will thicken properly.”

Posted: 04 May 2011 11:28 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4741
Joined  2008-04-16

I’ve used those EH pie dishes for years. For the most part, I just make the recipe as written and allow them to sit a little lower in the dish, so the rim of the dish is a separate decorative element.

Signature 

B&T Blog:  Ultimate Cinnamon Rolls

Posted: 04 May 2011 09:23 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2010-04-09

Thanks Pop & Julie!  Haven’t decided which to use yet…but sounds like either would work.

Posted: 05 May 2011 12:16 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  79
Joined  2011-03-01

Julie, Do post a photo next time you do a pie in your EH. It sounds lovely!

http://adventuresingoodfood.wordpress.com/

Signature 

kyle

http://www.adventuresingoodfood.com

Posted: 07 May 2011 03:29 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2010-04-09

So I made the Lemon Meringue pie from the PPB the other night and the italian meringue completely flopped!!  I piled it on and baked it around midnight, but by 6:30 a.m. the next morning, the poor sad meringue had fallen to about 1/4 inch.  It looked more like frosting than meringue.  I have done the italian meringue with success at least a half dozen times before, but never for a warm pie filling.  My theory is that I got overconfident using the cream of tartar and overbeat the egg whites before adding the syrup.  The first time I checked them, they were already at stiff peaks.  When I tried spreading it on the pie, I wasn’t able to make the normal decorative swirls and tips—it was more like spreading thick frosting.  So I kind of suspected it might be problematic.

Here’s another question - why does the “overbeating” problem not exist after the syrup is added?  Rose says to beat for 2 minutes afterwards; Bakewise says to beat 10-13 minutes more after adding!

Also, why in this recipe does Rose specify only heating the sugar syrup to 236 (soft ball stage) rather than the 248-250 (firm ball) that I’ve seen in RHC and used previously?  Could that also be the problem?

Finally - the filling was very good and the pie is all gone (half went to work and half got eaten at home), but since I used the 9 inch pyrex pan, it was pretty thick…it definitely needed that meringue for balance!

Posted: 07 May 2011 04:07 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  25
Joined  2009-10-06

I had the same problem with the meringue when I made this pie.  The meringue got too thick to spread well.  At the time I attributed it to me misreading the recipe and beating too long, but I wonder.  However, the pie was still delicious.