American sponge cake
Posted: 05 May 2011 02:24 PM   [ Ignore ]
Rank
Total Posts:  12
Joined  2009-11-10

hello,
This is the first time i am posting to the forum,I am making the American sponge cake for long time and it always turns out very good,infect i love the cake with whip cream frosting,but for last few times,i am following the direction more properly,I sift the flour and then measure but after baking it shrinks too much.and the crumbs are also not very fine.it gives a lot of volume when i beat the egg whites,but after baking it shrinks too much.i beat the whites and yolks with kitchen timer ,never over beat it .and the fold the mixture,so what went wrong i don’t understand.
Thank you

Posted: 06 May 2011 09:23 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4838
Joined  2008-04-16

Hi and welcome.

I don’t know which recipe you are using, but often excessive shrinking in a sponge cake comes either from overbaking or from not enough flour (or too much egg).  If they used to work well and now that’s changed, what are you doing differently? 

Good luck.

Signature 

Brød & Taylor Test Kitchen:  Peanut Butter Cups, All Grown Up

Posted: 07 May 2011 03:48 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  378
Joined  2010-04-09

Hi Zille, are you using the “Nancy Blitzer’s Classic American Sponge Cake” recipe from TCB?  I’ve been thinking about making that one!

Posted: 07 May 2011 11:18 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  12
Joined  2009-11-10

Thank you so much for your reply,I think it must be mistake in measurement of flour,as i sift the flour first and then measure and i feel i didn’t measure correctly ,the 2nd thing the recipe asked for bake it on 350F which is 177C exactly,but as i have 160c and then 180c in my oven ,don’t have an option between,and i observe when i bake it on 180 it over browned but 160 is too low temperature.what you will suggest for this case.
Another thing the recipe ask for. “Remove from oven and immediately invert. If your tube pan does not have feet then place on top of a bottle or bowl.  Cool for at least one hour before unmolding”. so it makes difference if i invert it on a wire rack?

I am a self taught baker .I did wilton courses for cake decorating , I live in Saudi Arabia and here i don’t find any institute for learning professional baking.I wish if ever i will get chance to come to USA i must learn professional baking from there.

Loopy I got this recipe from joy0f baking and she adapted it from The Cake Bible.I dont know it is the same one or not, but I just check the?Nancy Blitzer?s Classic American Sponge Cake? recipe ,it is the same which i am making only difference the recipe i have has 1 cup of sifted cake flour,other ingredients are the same.
The recipe is very good ,i love it but for last two three time i got trouble.I love it with whipcream and fruits.
Once again thank you for your reply.