Wedding Cake Quandries
Posted: 07 May 2011 05:30 PM   [ Ignore ]
Rank
Total Posts:  13
Joined  2011-05-05

Hi, I am making my third cake(s) for a large event.  I’ve made 3 large tiered cheesecakes and one large white cake with lemon mousseline./buttercream—all using TCB recipes.  So now I’m making cake for my brother’s wedding—outdoors, end of June, and I have to drive it 200 miles and hold it overnight.

So… I’m thinking of making a small tiered cake for the ceremonial cutting and then just several 9x13s since they will fit in conventional shaped coolers.  Also, I’m baking the golden dream batter recipe, but flavored with almond rather than lemon.  What do you think would be good choices for filling and buttercream flavor?  Based on likeliehood of hot-weather, I’m thinking mousseline buttercream—white chocolate, amaretto, vanilla?  (My brother does not like lemon desserts…  confused )  Perhaps light whipped ganache for the filling and vanilla buttercream?

Would love to get your thoughts!

I saw a recipe for a strawberry curd—yolky and buttery—do you think such an item will hold up?

my first post!

Posted: 07 May 2011 06:32 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  79
Joined  2011-03-01

Katey Lou,
One of the best frostings I know for hot weather(I live in Atlanta) is Rose’s white chocolate cream cheese buttercream made WITHOUT the butter or a tiny amount of butter. This idea is in TCB from Rose’s friend Shirley Corriher. Most likely it could be flavored with your choice using any fruit puree. Take some pictures when you make it and post here.

Signature 

kyle

http://www.adventuresingoodfood.com

Posted: 07 May 2011 11:04 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3166
Joined  2010-04-25

Hi, KatieLou, and welcome!!

Mousseline is supposed to hold up very well in the heat, and it can be flavored with any fruit puree.  Apricots, peaches or cherries would go wonderfully with almonds!!  Peach mousseline!  Mmmmmmmmm!  That would be very fresh tasting in the summer, as well!  Do please post photos of the final cake!

—ak

Posted: 08 May 2011 10:00 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Rank
Joined  2011-05-05

I was thinking in the fruit direction—for filling, not icing.  Of the curds, I have made lemon only.  I saw a recipe for strawberry curd - will a curd hold up in the heat?

Posted: 08 May 2011 12:06 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4791
Joined  2008-04-16

Regarding the choice of mousseline flavor to go with your almond cake, I prefer white chocolate to vanilla for the beautiful texture and richness of flavor.  In general, I’m not a white chocolate fan, but a quality brand like Vahlrona or Green & Black’s makes a wonderful mousseline.  If you like you can add a little vanilla or almond extract in addition to your white chocolate, but be careful not to get too much.  Alternatively, you could add Amaretto in addition to your white chocolate, but that will make the frosting quite sweet and softer. 

I highly recommend replacing the lemon syrup for that cake with an Amaretto syrup, in order to boost the keeping qualities of your cake (it will stay moist longer and avoid spoiling longer with a liqueur syrup). 

I’ve never tried a strawberry curd, but as lemon curd gets its thickness and keeping qualities from the acidity of lemon juice, I would imagine that strawberry curd might not hold up as well or be as thick.  My personal preference for a fruit filling is to use a fruit puree with reduced juices (like the Cake Bible’s strawberry or raspberry puree) and to thicken it with agar agar.  The agar will set more firmly than gelatin and will not melt until over 125F.

My first choice of filling for your almond cake would be the apricot lekvar from the Cake Bible, which is thick, firm and delicious (be sure to use California apricots).  With that, I would choose either vanilla-apricot mousseline (apricot lekvar as the fruit puree plus vanilla extract), which I’ve made before and loved paired with the golden almond cake from the Cake Bible (same base as your cake).  If the light golden color of that frosting isn’t acceptable, then white chocolate mousseline would be my second choice. 

Good luck with the cake, please post pics!

Signature 

Brød & Taylor Test Kitchen:  How to Make Sourdough More (or Less) Sour

Posted: 08 May 2011 01:33 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Rank
Joined  2011-05-05

Aha, I went ahead last night and made a batch of white chocolate mousseline bc.  I think I’ll go with the lekvar, as you suggest.  Would you recommend a different cake from the golden dream wedding cake?  I like that it holds moisture so well, but it is a little heavy.  Opinions from seasoned bakers really help!

Posted: 08 May 2011 10:16 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4791
Joined  2008-04-16

I like the cake and feel like the denser texture is lovely.  I think it works for a wedding cake because the pieces are generally on the small side- no one’s going to get a huge slice and find it too much.  But that’s just my personal opinion, you and/or your guests may feel differently. 

Good luck!

Signature 

Brød & Taylor Test Kitchen:  How to Make Sourdough More (or Less) Sour

Posted: 08 May 2011 11:08 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3166
Joined  2010-04-25

My favorite yellow cake (and I haven’t made them all) is the Golden Luxury Butter Cake—it’s super-moist and fluffy but not at all tender, so you can always toss that one into the hat!