Piping Practice
Posted: 08 May 2011 04:06 PM   [ Ignore ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1088
Joined  2009-05-26

I’ve been wanting to do this for a long time. Finally had a chance!

I made a practice buttercream and pipe using the 1M star tip. Here are the results. I’m pretty happy with it.

Now just have to do this on a cake smile.

Image Attachments
Piping Practice3.jpgPiping Practice4.jpgPiping Practice1.jpg
 Signature 

http://www.knittybaker.blogspot.com/

Posted: 08 May 2011 05:57 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3170
Joined  2010-04-25

Oh, Jenn, those came out reallly good!  I really like the middle and bottom scrolly things in the last picture—they’re really unusual and pretty!

The nice thing about the roses in the first pic is you can always pip them on your mat, get ‘em good and cold and then lift them onto your cake.  Note, this is the voice of theory, rather than experience, talking!!!!

Posted: 08 May 2011 10:22 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4797
Joined  2008-04-16

Jenn, those look picture perfect!  Much better executed than most of my piping!  Are you going to save them and apply to a cake?

Signature 

Brød & Taylor Test Kitchen:  Greek-style yogurt recipe

Posted: 08 May 2011 11:47 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-05-26

Anne, I’ve done that - freezing the roses for a few minutes until they’re firmer and then applying to the cake.

Julie, thanks for the compliments. I still think your shell border and french tips piping are better smile. I already scraped the buttercream off and put it away - will practice more! I think sometimes it’s easier to pipe well when there’s no pressure. In this case, as it is practice it turned out better than I had expected.

Signature 

Posted: 09 May 2011 12:00 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1554
Joined  2011-02-17

They all came out beautiful Jenn.

Posted: 10 May 2011 09:44 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  94
Joined  2009-09-04

those are all lovely. which buttercream did you use to practice with?

Posted: 10 May 2011 10:26 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-05-26

Thanks everyone for the compliments.

gpears, I used equal quantity of butter, shortening, margarine, and powdered sugar. Whipped until fluffy. It’s pretty soft but it doesn’t get melted/too soft fast with the warmth of my hands.

Signature 

Posted: 29 April 2013 05:29 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  4
Joined  2013-04-28

Hi - I have just come across your wonderful piping ‘practice’ examples. Have you ever used Roses’s Golden Neoclassic Buttercream to pipe some of these simple shapes with because that is what I would like to use on cupcakes. I just want to pipe one simple twirl like the one in the first picture. Any tips?

Posted: 29 April 2013 10:49 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-05-26

Hi George,
Yes I’ve used the neoclassic as well as the mouselline to pipe simple swirls like the first picture. The swirls are pretty easy. Just make sure that your buttercream is at a good consistency and temperature. If you are intimidated I’d suggest practicing a bit on a parchment or silpat like I did. I used a 1 M piping tip and a good piping bag (Wilton makes reusable ones). I’d prefer the reusable than the disposable plastics. I hope that helps. Please come back and post your results. We’d love to see it!

Signature 

Posted: 30 April 2013 01:30 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  4
Joined  2013-04-28

Jenn, thank you for your reply. It most certainly helps and has given the confidence to give it a go. I really do apprecaite our advice.

Posted: 30 April 2013 03:56 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  683
Joined  2012-01-12

Piping is the easiest thing to decorate a cake. It is also the quickest way. That is great practice. Practice makes perfect.