Black n Yellow Cake
Posted: 10 May 2011 11:57 AM   [ Ignore ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  37
Joined  2011-05-04

I want to make a cake with alternating layers of chocolate and yellow cakes.  I want to fill with a chocolate frosting and cover with white chocolate fondant.  I was thinking of using the Chocolate Fudge Cake, the All Occasion Downy Cake and the milk chocolate buttercream recipes from The Cake Bible.  I was wondering if these recipes would go well together flavor-wise.  I am especially concerned about one cake being completely a different texture from the other so they just dont seem to go with each other.  Also, will the milk chocolate buttercream be the right texture to go under the fondant?

I am new member and am enjoying this forum already.  Thanks for making me feel welcome! grin

Posted: 10 May 2011 02:14 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3128
Joined  2010-04-25

Hi, Sing!

I haven’t made the Chocolate Fudge Cake yet, myself, so it might be perfect.  But what I thought I’d mention is that the very delicious Perfect All American Chocolate Butter Cake is a cake that, IMO, would also be a good choice, as it’s moist and wonderful, not tender and especially not dense, so it should be very compatible.  If you want to see the inside of it, and you have RHC, look for the chocolate bundt cake where Rose drapes the marzipan candles over it.

Also, beware the Milk Chocolate Butter Cream!  It is INSANELY delicious, but under no circumstances should it be refrigerated, as it will solidify and will not become soft again, even at room temperature.  If you will need to refrigerate the cake, you might be happier with a ganache.  If you don’t need to refrigerate, the MCBC is ooooooooooooooooh soooooooooooooooo gooooooooooooooood!!

Good luck! 

Post pics!!

—ak

Posted: 10 May 2011 04:21 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  105
Joined  2010-12-29

You could also make the domino cake, the one where it is suppose to be a checker board with the fancy pan, and just make the layers one flavour each.  I used that recipe to make a marble cake and it was so moist and delicious!  I paired it with the dark chocolate ganache and it was super yummy:)

Posted: 10 May 2011 09:35 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4741
Joined  2008-04-16

I’ve made both the choc fudge and the downy yellow, and the textures are pretty similar, so I don’t think you’ll have any problem there.  Also, the choc fudge is a nice pairing with the milk choc buttercream.  If you need a choc buttercream that is soft after chilling and bringing back to room temp, you could take a look at the chocolate egg white buttercream. 

The Domingo has a more dense/rich texture than the above cakes, and the All american has a similar texture, maybe a little fudgier and heavier, but bascially similar.

Not sure about what works under fondant, I’ve never used it.

Signature 

B&T Blog:  Ultimate Cinnamon Rolls

Posted: 10 May 2011 10:39 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  105
Joined  2010-12-29

I knew it wasn’t called the domino cake but couldn’t remember the actual name!LOL

Posted: 12 May 2011 12:31 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  37
Joined  2011-05-04

Thanks a lot!! Anne, I think I will go with the Milk Chocolate Buttercream as I dont plan to refrigerate the cake.  Julie, it’s good to know that the textures of the choc fudge and all occasion downy cakes are similar.  I guess I will go ahead with these three options and hopefully they will be good together.  I will use the Domingo recipe some time later, as that sounds interesting too.