Need Buttercream that can stay outside the fridge
Posted: 13 May 2011 05:28 PM   [ Ignore ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  105
Joined  2009-09-09

Hi Guys,

I will be traveling to BC in about a month and I wanted to bring some of my cupcakes along with me for my friends as promised.
From Toronto to BC the flight is probably around 5 hours or so.
I will need to be in the airport an hour ahead of time and takes me an hour to get there.
So I’m looking for some sort of buttercream that will be safe outside of the fridge for about 10 hours…then it goes back into a fridge until the next day when I see the people >_<

I was actually looking at the whoopie pie recipe in THC book since that might be easier to bring on the plane with me then cupcakes with the swirls on top

any suggestions for what i can do? smile

Thanks!

Aggie

Posted: 13 May 2011 11:25 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3128
Joined  2010-04-25

Hi, Aggie!!

Mousseline is rated two days room temp, so that should get you there!  The whoopie pie filling is mousseline—it just has extra sugar in it to make it stiffer for the whoopies. 

Have a happy cuppie (or whoopie) reunion!

—ak

Posted: 14 May 2011 09:17 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4741
Joined  2008-04-16

Mousseline buttercream should hold up pretty well for your trip.

Since the cakes will need to be assembled a couple of days before they are eaten, I would worry about the whoopie pies becoming dry, as the cake part is not sealed with frosting.  For cupcakes, you might consider keeping foil liner cups on the bottoms (as opposed to paper, which is porous) and frosting all the way to the edge in order to keep them from drying out.

You could start with them frozen, and maybe consider trying to keep them frozen with a little dry ice in a cooler.  Not sure what the Canadian regulations are, but Hector reports that in the US a certain amount of dry ice is allowed on planes.  As long as they stay cool the frosting should remain hard and relatively unmarred. 

Good luck!

Signature 

B&T Blog:  Ultimate Cinnamon Rolls

Posted: 14 May 2011 11:30 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  79
Joined  2011-03-01

Julie & Anne,
Thanks for that recommendation. I had not noticed the mousseline would hold that week at room temp. GLad to know it will for future usage.

Signature 

kyle

http://www.adventuresingoodfood.com

Posted: 14 May 2011 06:12 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3128
Joined  2010-04-25

Mousseline holds two days at room temp—it keeps ten days in the fridge.

Posted: 16 May 2011 12:18 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  105
Joined  2009-09-09

thanks guys!
I’ll try it out!
i didn’t know Mousseline holds 2 days at room temp! i never look at room temp…usually only at how well it keeps in the fridge
i always worried about the BC at room temp b/c it is just butter after all

Im not sure about the dry ice either….would probably have to check

thanks!