Cake Plate in Oven
Posted: 13 May 2011 06:07 PM   [ Ignore ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  903
Joined  2009-05-25

I am in the process of making the Lemon Meringue Cake from RHC and wanted to gather some thoughts on placing a ceramic cake stand in the 500 F oven to brown the meringue.  Has anyone tried this?  I’m not a ceramic expert so I don’t know if the stand will tolerate the heat for 3-5 mins.  I don’t want to transfer the cake once the Meringue is on—but worse yet, I would hate to have a cake stand shatter in my oven and have lost the cake too…

I should add…I think the plate would be fine at 500F IF it started in a cool oven—not sure if it goes into preheated oven.

Posted: 14 May 2011 09:20 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4783
Joined  2008-04-16

Know anyone with a little kitchen butane torch?  Maybe this an excuse to get one. smile

Perhaps you could assemble the cake on the flat bottom of a loose-bottom cake or tart pan, then use a little left over meringue to cement it to the cake plate after it comes out of the oven.

Signature 

B&T Blog:  Cultured Butter Recipe

Posted: 14 May 2011 11:33 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  79
Joined  2011-03-01

SHerrie, I don’t see why it would NOT hold up since ceramics are fired at much higher temperatures than 500. As a precaution, put the entire plate and cake onto a baking sheet to move it in and out of the oven, but for no longer than it would take to brown meringue, the plate will not have time to heat up a great deal anyway. Let us know how it works.

Signature 

kyle

http://www.adventuresingoodfood.com

Posted: 15 May 2011 12:17 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  903
Joined  2009-05-25

Tried the plate in oven and was fine!  Had to use convection to get sides browned.