Tempering Chocolate - Finally success!!!
Posted: 13 May 2011 07:59 PM   [ Ignore ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  939
Joined  2009-09-16

After I don’t know how many attempts at tempering dark chocolate I have finally succeeded!!!!!  I ended up tempering the chocolate with a product called mycryo from callebaut.  All it is is cocoa butter in powdered form.  They have directions on their website.  Melt 1 kg of chocolate to 113 degrees and add 10 grams of mycryo to the melted chocolate and bring the temperature down to 90 degrees. ( I ended up filling the sink with an inch of ice water and placing the bowl in the sink and then stirred stirred stirred - I know, very risky but It worked perfectly.)  I am going to try and make a dark chocolate band with white scrolls on it for the tiramisu cake I am making this weekend.  Hopefully I can get the same results as I did last night.

Posted: 13 May 2011 10:58 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3127
Joined  2010-04-25

Congratulations, Liza!!

And best wishes for a succesful repeat!!

Can"t wait to see your tiramisu!

Posted: 14 May 2011 09:26 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4741
Joined  2008-04-16

Congratulations!  Interesting product, powdered cocoa butter crystals, must look into it smile  Good luck with the band, they’re relatively quick and beautiful, I bet you’ll be hooked after your first.

My challenge in tempering chocolate isn’t the melting/cooling process, but rather having the counter and environment at the right temp, and then maintaining the tempered chocolate in the ideal temp range while working with it (I use Rose’s trick of a heating pad). 

Your cake sounds beautiful, can’t wait to see it.

Signature 

B&T Blog:  Ultimate Cinnamon Rolls