Rose’s Heavenly Cakes mosaic
Posted: 16 May 2011 11:53 PM   [ Ignore ]
Rank
Total Posts:  4
Joined  2007-12-23

I’ve completed the Heavenly Cake bake-through led by Marie at http://heavenlycakeplace.blogspot.com/ and put together a mosaic of the cakes in my blog. It was fun looking back and seeing how both my cake-baking and cake-photography skills improved over the past 20 months, though both still have a ways to go!

http://nlbarber.blogspot.com/2011/05/roses-heavenly-cakes-all-of.html

NancyB

Posted: 17 May 2011 05:20 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4839
Joined  2008-04-16

Stunning!  What a fabuous body of work, congratulations on baking it all in tiime for the end of the Bake-Along with Marie.  big surprise

Signature 

Brød & Taylor Test Kitchen:  Peanut Butter Cups, All Grown Up

Posted: 17 May 2011 05:58 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3171
Joined  2010-04-25

Stunning, indeed!!!  Just fabulous!

Posted: 17 May 2011 07:34 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  923
Joined  2009-05-25

Amazing!  I love that I can see photos of the cakes without pics in the book.  Do tell…what was your fave?

Posted: 17 May 2011 09:44 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  939
Joined  2009-09-16

WOW!!!  That is quite an accomplishment.  You must feel like a pro now.  I really enjoyed looking at all of your pictures.

Posted: 17 May 2011 11:25 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Rank
Joined  2007-12-23
Sherrie - 17 May 2011 10:34 PM

Amazing!  I love that I can see photos of the cakes without pics in the book.  Do tell…what was your fave?

That’s like asking me to pick a favorite book: it’s too hard, and the answer would be changing all the time anyway!

I’m going to try to do a post looking back at the whole bake-along, picking out ones that were great, ones that I messed up one way or another, ones worth the effort, stuff like that. Last October Marie asked us to think about what had been our favorites. I got my family members to vote and did a post dividing the cakes to that point into ++, +, neutral, - and - -. I need to update that (and see if any of the previous rankings now seem off).  At the top of the heap was Rose’s favorite Golden Lemon Almond, the White Gold Passion Genoise (we all fell in love with passion-fruit curd, and I used it instead of lemon curd on the mini cheesecakes), and several of the cakes with fruit. The Plum Round Ingots go high for ease of baking and a beautiful presentation, and the Pumpkin Cake was a great cake, though I don’t feel any need to ever decorate one to *look* like a pumpkin again. smile Of what I’ve baked since then, maybe the Lemon Canadian Crown will go in the ++ category.  Maybe others when I start skimming through my blog posts…

That older summary is here: http://nlbarber.blogspot.com/2010/10/rhc-cakes-so-far.html

Posted: 19 May 2011 09:09 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1031
Joined  2007-11-21

Oh my goodness…I am stunned.  Amazing.  I just doesn’t seem possible.

Posted: 20 May 2011 03:34 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  378
Joined  2010-04-09

They’re all beautiful!!  Thank you so much for putting it together, I think I’ll be returning to this time and again.  It rivals Matthew’s bread mosaic, which is saying alot!

Posted: 25 May 2011 07:17 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1094
Joined  2009-05-26

Nancy, congrats! You are the only one who’s completed the book, aside from Marie. And considering you’ve started later, that’s quite a feat. Beautiful mosaic.
So what’s next? I know you’re doing the BBA challenge (Peter Reinhart). Any other cake book challenge on the horizon?

Signature 

http://www.knittybaker.blogspot.com/

Posted: 31 May 2011 06:47 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
Rank
Joined  2007-12-23
Jenn - 25 May 2011 10:17 PM

So what’s next? I know you’re doing the BBA challenge (Peter Reinhart). Any other cake book challenge on the horizon?

I’m waffling between a few ideas while trying to get caught up with the BBA Challenge.  My current thought is to pick out desserts (not just cakes) from a group of cookbooks I own but haven’t really done much with: Rose’s Pie and Pastry Bible, Dorie Greenspan’s Baking from My Home to Yours, Shirley Corriher’s Cookwise, and Sarabeth Levine’s Sarabeth’s Bakery: From My Hands to Yours.  Or maybe another one—I have to confess to an overflowing bookcase (not ‘shelf’) of cookbooks, mostly unexplored.  smile  I could go looking for another baking group to join, but I think for now I’ll keep my freedom to explore, and maybe bake a few repeats with the continuing Heavenly Cake Bakers.

I’m going to aim for a cake a month, then another dessert (pie or pudding or cookie) in between.  Ice cream and frozen yogurt will happen more frequently—younger niece was over last night and we made peach frozen yogurt with some ripe Georgia peaches.