Mom’s Apple…Cheesecake?
Posted: 21 May 2011 04:07 PM   [ Ignore ]
Rank
Total Posts:  15
Joined  2011-05-21

Hi all,

I grew up enjoying my mom’s fabulous fruit pies (am I unique, or what?), and although she never showed me much, she did attempt to teach me how to make a flaky pie crust. Years after her death, I revisited the technique and, with the help of her recipe box, I was able to recreate her wonderful apple pie, albeit a little less elegantly. But that’s not really the topic of this post.

As an avid cheesecake baker, I thought one day that it would be great to combine her apple pie with my cheesecake - the two seem so well matched (apple pie and vanilla ice cream - hey, great idea). So I made my standard cheesecake crust (a mixture of cookie crumbs and pecans, although I substituted walnuts here, and melted butter), pressed it into a buttered and parchment-lined 6 x 3” pan and baked it for 10 minutes. Meanwhile, I peeled and sliced a Granny Smith apple (my mom’s go-to apple), added some white sugar, a little flour and cinnamon and combined them thoroughly, then heated the mixture in a saucepan until it boiled and then let it simmer until the apples were soft. I then pulled it off and let it cool beside the already cooling crust.

Next, I made my standard vanilla cheesecake batter. When it was ready, I spooned some of the apple mixture onto the crust, enough to create a thin layer, then spooned the cheesecake batter over the apples. I baked the cake in a bain marie until done, then let it cool for a couple of hours before putting it in the refrigerator overnight.

The next day, I removed the cake from the pan and made some fresh whipped cream, which I then piped generously around the edge. Finally, I filled the center with the remaining apples. The cake was incredible, according to my friends. My quadruple bypass prevents me from eating it!

Mike

Image Attachments
Mom's Apple Cheesecake.jpg
 Signature 

http://www.honeyscheesecake.com

Posted: 22 May 2011 01:39 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  378
Joined  2010-04-09

What a great idea!  It looks gorgeous!  What mixture of butter vs. shortening does your mom’s pie crust recipe use?  I’m always experimenting with pie crust recipes : )

Posted: 22 May 2011 01:58 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Rank
Joined  2011-05-21
Loopy - 22 May 2011 04:39 AM

What a great idea!  It looks gorgeous!  What mixture of butter vs. shortening does your mom’s pie crust recipe use?  I’m always experimenting with pie crust recipes : )

Thanks for the kind words.

My mom always used shortening exclusively, as taught in the First Edition Betty Crocker Picture Cookbook. That book was her bible, purchased in 1950 not long after my parents were married (1947). I still have that old book! As a kid, I couldn’t have cared less about a flaky crust; to be honest, I liked it when the bottom crust got saturated with the fruit juices, a condition I called “goopy.” But in retrospect, her crust probably lacked a little flavor, and when I’ve made pie crusts I’ve either gone all-butter or 50/50 butter and shortening. But you know, I think a lot of the flakiness comes from how the dough is made and how it’s handled. I came up with a system that works really well for me and lets me roll out the crust very quickly, and I think it helps.

So, you’re in San Francisco? With a name like Loopy, my first guess was Chicago. smile

Signature 

Posted: 22 May 2011 12:36 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3170
Joined  2010-04-25

Wow, honeycheese!

That’s beautiful! What a great idea! When I read ‘apple cheesecake’ I thought ‘Yum! Danish’!!!!  Apples, cream cheese, nuts. That looks and sounds amazingly delicious! 

Welcome to the forum!  Hope to see lots more of your baking!

Sorry to hear bout your bypass.  My hub had a big one, too (5-way), almost 4 yeras ago.  He used to eat 20 gram pieces of my cake, but he’s given even those small bites up recently!  I hope you’re all recovered and doing well.  We’d sure hate to lose such a great baker!!!!

—ak

Posted: 22 May 2011 02:01 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Rank
Joined  2011-05-21
Anne in NC - 22 May 2011 03:36 PM

Wow, honeycheese!

That’s beautiful! What a great idea! When I read ‘apple cheesecake’ I thought ‘Yum! Danish’!!!!  Apples, cream cheese, nuts. That looks and sounds amazingly delicious! 

Welcome to the forum!  Hope to see lots more of your baking!

Sorry to hear bout your bypass.  My hub had a big one, too (5-way), almost 4 yeras ago.  He used to eat 20 gram pieces of my cake, but he’s given even those small bites up recently!  I hope you’re all recovered and doing well.  We’d sure hate to lose such a great baker!!!!

—ak

Anne,

What can I say to that, except to thank you for your very kind thoughts. Yes, I’m ok - could be better physically, but who couldn’t? The love of my precious wife Cheryl transcends anything that could happen to me, so I’m a lucky, lucky man. She’s a peach.

Time to make some low-calorie banana muffins!

Mike

Image Attachments
Banana Muf 3.jpg
 Signature 

Posted: 22 May 2011 11:05 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3170
Joined  2010-04-25

First, Yay, Cheryl! However, with a baker like you around, she better watch out or she might find herself a peach cobbler!!

That is some seriously gorgeous muffins!!!  Love those super-domes!!!!!!!

Posted: 24 May 2011 11:06 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Rank
Joined  2011-05-21

Anne, she has been a peach cobbler for a while now…love her more than ever wink

Signature