Cake making question: hope this is not off topic
Posted: 24 May 2011 01:52 PM   [ Ignore ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  31
Joined  2010-02-17

hi all!
Since I feel at home with other bakers, I am wondering what everyone thinks about me baking a birthday cake for a boyfriend of just 2 months?
I love to bake, but I don’t want to seem so overeager, since we just met late March and have been dating ever since….or maybe I could make something smaller, like cookies as a present?
Any advice would be appreciated!

thanks!!
Miriam

Posted: 24 May 2011 02:06 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3168
Joined  2010-04-25

Congratulations on your new boyfriend!!! 

If he knows you LOVE to bake, then I’d go for it.  You can always mention between now and then how you are always on the lookout for a baking opportunity, which will decrease the significance of the baking if you feel that making a cake might be too ‘significant’ at this time.  Taking into considerations his favorite flavors, etc, when making the cake will show you see his ‘specialness’ and that you pay attention to his likes, so he doesn’t think he is merely a baking opportunity, while at the same time, you’ve made it less of a big deal since he knows you love to bake.

OMG, is that convoluted or helpful?  I just don’t know!!!!

—ak

Posted: 24 May 2011 02:22 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4791
Joined  2008-04-16

I’m with Anne, bake something because you’re a baker and like any excuse.  Just don’t make it too over the top, maybe a sleek little chocolate torte or cupcakes?  Has he seen you bake cakes for other reasons? 

But maybe a few of the men on the site could weigh in…

Signature 

Brød & Taylor Test Kitchen:  How to Make Sourdough More (or Less) Sour

Posted: 24 May 2011 02:31 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  131
Joined  2010-02-24

Bake him a cake!  He will love it.

Posted: 24 May 2011 02:36 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2010-04-25

Kathy, that was simply and elegantly put!

Posted: 24 May 2011 03:29 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
RankRank
Joined  2010-02-17

I’m laughing here at work!
Thanks for the input! I feel that if I do something from the heart, then that’s all that matters grin
He is a big soccer fan, so I was thinking of a small themed cake, just for fun, I do need practice anyways!

I will think of something and will post whatever I come up with, thanks so much for the encouragement!

best
Miriam

Posted: 24 May 2011 07:04 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1360
Joined  2008-09-27
nycbeginner - 24 May 2011 04:52 PM

I love to bake, but I don?t want to seem so overeager, since we just met late March and have been dating ever since?.or maybe I could make something smaller, like cookies as a present?  Any advice would be appreciated!

It really depends on the guy.  Some guys love being fussed over and others might feel that you’re presuming too much on the relationship.  The risk behind the latter is minimized if he knows that you typically bake for others.  You might consider asking him if he’ll let you bake a cake for him; that puts it more as something he’s doing for you, rather than the other way around.

Signature 

If error is corrected whenever it is recognized as such, the path of error is the path of truth.

—Hans Reichenbach

Posted: 24 May 2011 10:54 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  15
Joined  2011-05-21
nycbeginner - 24 May 2011 04:52 PM

hi all!
Since I feel at home with other bakers, I am wondering what everyone thinks about me baking a birthday cake for a boyfriend of just 2 months?
I love to bake, but I don’t want to seem so overeager, since we just met late March and have been dating ever since….or maybe I could make something smaller, like cookies as a present?
Any advice would be appreciated!

thanks!!
Miriam

Haha…as a guy, all I can say is, what’s the problem? Yes, cake! Bigger = Better! Remember that sage old expression, “the way to a man’s heart…” need I finish? Relatively speaking, we’re pigs, and not the way women usually mean it. As in, we will eat like pigs….

So, make the cake. Make the cake. Make the cake. Just make it a good one! smile

Mike

Signature 

http://www.honeyscheesecake.com

Posted: 24 May 2011 11:02 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
Rank
Joined  2011-05-21

Just a quick addendum…I wouldn’t worry about scaring him off. If it’s meant to be, it’s meant to be. Now, I’m a guy who met his wife one day under somewhat unusual circumstances and came away knowing that I was going to marry her. And I did, 27 years ago. So I say, let it happen…let him know who you are!

Mike

Signature 

Posted: 24 May 2011 11:05 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2010-04-25

I?m a guy who met his wife one day under somewhat unusual circumstances and came away knowing that I was going to marry her. And I did, 27 years ago.

OMG, that is soooo cute!!!!

Posted: 24 May 2011 11:26 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
Rank
Joined  2011-05-21

Then…and now. Nothing’s changed, obviously wink

Image Attachments
Now.jpg
Image Attachments
Mike and Cheryl 1983.bmp
 Signature 

Posted: 25 May 2011 04:21 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  378
Joined  2010-04-09

Honey, those pictures are the CUTEST!  Both then and now!

NYC…I think it’s a great idea to bake a cake.  But what really matters is how you present it.  It would be great if you were going out with a group of friends, and you could pop the cake out at the end.  That way it’s still light and casual even though you still did something special…!

Posted: 25 May 2011 10:34 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2010-04-25

I repeat:

OMG, that is SOOOOOO cute!  You can see my hub and self in my avatar.  This is a few years old, but we haven’t changed much. cheese We’ve been happily married 17 years and are looking forward to 27!

So, NYC, where do you stand?  Of course, in addition to all other considerations, I hope you bake so I can hear all about your baking!!!!

Posted: 25 May 2011 01:39 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 13 ]
RankRank
Joined  2010-02-17

hi All!!

Well, as of yesterday I had decided to see how the weekend turns out, his birthday is Sunday. I don’t want to go all out and later be disappointed, as it’s the holiday weekend, I’ll give him a call and test the waters- I’ll let you guys know! So much pressure!! lol
At honeycheese, thanks for the great advice and the photos, it means a lot to have support from the baking community!!

best
Miriam