Tea Flavored buttercream
Posted: 24 May 2011 03:59 PM   [ Ignore ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  129
Joined  2011-01-21

Hi Everyone~!
  It has been a while since i have written and enjoyed all of your photos!

I am responisble for making my friends bridal shower cake for Aug and i wanted to do a test run.  Her theme is a tea party - so i thought to make small individual cakes for each quest (~2” by ~3”) - liek you would recieve at a tea party.  I would decorate each cake with buttercream (smooth) and then on the sides would be a nice lace design on each cake with a big letter “C” written nicely on the top for my girlfriends name.  I was going to have 3 colors of icing all with the same flavor so there will a color charm on the table.  For example one cake will be yellow, the one next to it will be pink and so on.
  My question is - i would like to have the icing (buttercream) to some how incorprate “tea flavor”.  Can any recommend a flavor? Right now all i see that is resonable is green tea..any ideas?  I want something very subtle that does not hit you right away.  I think green tea may be to much.
  Thanks everyone!  And when i finally make all 70 cakes (yes 70!) i will post them..

Thanks for your help!

Posted: 24 May 2011 05:19 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  31
Joined  2010-02-17

hi!
Great idea? What about Earl Grey, or a Bergamot with Rose petals?
Or a fruit “tea” like passion fruit or mango?
good luck!
Miriam

Posted: 24 May 2011 10:43 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4783
Joined  2008-04-16

Just a thought, Rose has a green tea roulade, and she says the flavor fades quickly, so if you go that route don’t expect it to last more than a day or so.

Aside from green, there’s Jasmine (green base with Jasmine flowers- get a good one for the best Jasmine flavor and fragrance), black chai, and earl grey is nice with orange.

Signature 

B&T Blog:  Cultured Butter Recipe

Posted: 25 May 2011 10:09 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  266
Joined  2007-11-18

I work as a pastry chef at a small tea shop, so I have some experience w/ this! I?ve used Lavender Earl Grey, a Roobois flavored w/ vanilla, raspberry, and rose petals, Black Jasmine Creme, and black current tea. How you infuse the flavor of the tea into the buttercream depends on the recipe you are using.

My favorite buttercream is a hybrid French-American buttercream where I whisk a hot sugar syrup into egg yolks, then beat this into powdered sugar until it creates a fluffy creamy mixture. Once this is cool, then a large amount of butter is beaten in. There are plenty of people of around who don?t care for European style buttercreams because they are too greasy and not sweet enough, and I find this is very pleasing to everyone as being creamy, fluffy, and on the sweet side (not over the top, though). I infuse the tea flavor by first steeping it in the water I will be using for the sugar syrup, and then also processing a cup or so of powdered sugar w/ a couple tablespoons of tea leaves, grinding it powder fine.

Hope this helps!

Signature 

Visit my blog: The Mile High Baker at http://www.milehighbaker.blogspot.com

Posted: 25 May 2011 05:54 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  129
Joined  2011-01-21

WOW - thank you for your help and guidance!  I will try the suggestions you all gave and see how they come out - i figured i have to do a test run before the big day!
Thanks again!!!
I will let you know what turned out the best and will post some photos!!!
Thanks again!