Liqueur or alcohol to use in Mousseline Buttercream?
Posted: 25 May 2011 05:20 AM   [ Ignore ]
Rank
Total Posts:  16
Joined  2011-05-24

I am making a graduation cake for my son’s high school graduation, half white, half chocolate.  I have two different questions about the Mousseline Buttercream. 1) Is the amount of alcohol small enough that it would be appropriate to use this for a party with teenagers?  Or should I use a different frosting? 2) I have Grande Marnier on hand.  Is the flavor subtle or quite orangey?  What are other liqueur suggestions?  What about using a vanilla or chocolate flavored vodka? - Thanks in advance!

Posted: 25 May 2011 10:18 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  266
Joined  2007-11-18

The amount of liqueur is only a couple of tablespoons. Just enough to add flavor, not make it boozy. I wouldn?t worry about it. I love Grande Marnier. It?s not that ?orangey? to me, and I always add a couple teaspoons of grated orange zest as well. You can add whatever kind of liqueur you want. I don?t recommend chocolate flavored vodka. There are better chocolate spirits out there—such as Godiva chocolate liqueur.

Signature 

Visit my blog: The Mile High Baker at http://www.milehighbaker.blogspot.com

Posted: 25 May 2011 12:32 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4781
Joined  2008-04-16

Grand Marnier is a blend of brandy (cognac) and orange, you can definitely taste the brandy in it.  Your choice of liqueur depends on add-ins, are you planning to add melted chocolate or white chocolate or fruit puree/curd?

My first choice to pair with the white/choc butter cakes you are making would probably be the white chocolate version of mousseline, and you could add to that either a little extra vanilla extract, or a liqueur that suits your taste.  Grand Marnier would be absolutely lovely, and as Roxanne says, doesn’t end up tasting boozy, especially if you make it a day ahead of serving.  If you don’t like brandy you could choose cointreau (pure orange/no brandy), or frangelico (hazelnut).

Signature 

B&T Blog:  Cultured Butter Recipe

Posted: 26 May 2011 05:43 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1031
Joined  2007-11-21

And…you don’t have to use the liqueur.  Especially if you are flavoring it with white chocolate, bittersweet chocolate, or an extract.

Posted: 26 May 2011 06:07 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  16
Joined  2011-05-24

Oh, OK.  Thanks!  I think I will do the white chocolate!

Posted: 26 May 2011 09:50 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  79
Joined  2011-03-01

Mary, Usually any booze or liquer can be left out and vanilla(or orange, lemon, etc.) substituted.

Signature 

kyle

http://www.adventuresingoodfood.com