1 of 2
My new baby
Posted: 25 May 2011 09:17 PM   [ Ignore ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  939
Joined  2009-09-16

Just a note,  it is not a human baby…Been there, done that twice.  My sweet hubby surprised me tonight with something that I have wanted for quite a long time.  An ice cream maker!!!  I am so excited!!!  I have collected a binder full of ice cream recipes but have never been able to make them.  I just kept thinking maybe one day…  He thought it was funny that I collect tons of recipes but don’t make them.  Well,  I do want to make them, I just have so many.

We are having his family up to the house on Sunday for cake and coffee for my birthday. So now we can have homemade cake and homemade ice cream.  I just can’t decide what ice cream to make.

Image Attachments
ice cream maker.jpg

Posted: 25 May 2011 09:28 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1567
Joined  2011-02-17

Very cool! That is a great birthday present.

Happy Birthday Liza! I hope you have a great day.

Posted: 25 May 2011 09:38 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-09-16

Thank-you flour girl!  I have to work on my birthday, but that’s ok.

Posted: 25 May 2011 09:49 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4797
Joined  2008-04-16

Ooooo, pretty!  And just in time for summer treats!  Hubbie is a keeper smile

Happy Birthday, Liza!

Signature 

Brød & Taylor Test Kitchen:  Greek-style yogurt recipe

Posted: 25 May 2011 10:57 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3171
Joined  2010-04-25

Happy birthday, Liza!!! Homemade ice cream—yum, yum, yum!

Posted: 25 May 2011 11:47 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-09-16

Thanks so much Julie and Anne.  I can’t wait to try it.  I have my bowl in the freezer right now.  I definitely want to try David Lebovitz’s vanilla bean icecream recipe first. Have my list already for the ingredients I will pick up tomorrow. 

Hubby is more interested in the frozen magarhita recipes. LOL

Posted: 26 May 2011 04:25 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  378
Joined  2010-04-09

Yay, an ice cream maker!  I was lucky to receive one for my last b-day and am guilty of using it about 4 times with enthusiasm; then the novelty wore off and now it has sat in the garage for several months…I’m betting you will inspire me to get going again though.  Definitely classic vanilla for your first batch!!!

Posted: 26 May 2011 09:55 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  79
Joined  2011-03-01

Wow, Liza! Congratulations and happy birthday to you, girl! Somewhere I have a very simple formula for Julian Serrano’s red plum sorbet from about a 25 year old BA. If you’d like, I’ll post it for you. It’s not really a recipe, but just proportions which can be multiplies depending on the amount of fruit you have. Fruit, lemon juice and sugar and it was scrummy. Take a pic and post of your first bowl of frozen deliciousness when you make it.

Signature 

kyle

http://www.adventuresingoodfood.com

Posted: 27 May 2011 11:01 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  69
Joined  2010-03-20
Liza - 26 May 2011 02:47 AM

I definitely want to try David Lebovitz’s vanilla bean icecream recipe first. Have my list already for the ingredients I will pick up tomorrow. 

Make this recipe and then try Rose’s vanilla bean ice cream recipe, and tell us which one you like better!

Posted: 27 May 2011 11:57 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  79
Joined  2011-03-01

Liza, Do post what your findings are with the Lebovitz recipe. I met him one Sunday a couple of years ago at the Richard Lenoir market in Paris. Next time you go, make sure Bl? Sucre is on your list of patisserie near the Marche Aligre.
I updated my recipe notebooks today and found my sorbet ‘formula.’ Since there is so much great fruit coming into season, I thought I’d post it:

1 1/3 lb. fruit
2 C water
2/3 C Appx. sugar
lemon juice

I used red plums. pitted with skin and the sorbet ws the most wonderful deep pink. Just whirl it in the fp or blender and taste for more sugar and dissolve it well before you freeze it. A T liquor is ok, but too much and it won’t freeze.
Let us know how your first batch turns out!

Signature 

kyle

http://www.adventuresingoodfood.com

Posted: 28 May 2011 12:14 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  211
Joined  2008-11-03

That’s nice, congrats!

Posted: 31 May 2011 12:54 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-09-16

So, I ended up making David Lebovitz’s vanilla ice cream and it was AMAZING!  I did end up making a double batch since his recipe makes about 1 litre and my ice cream maker can make up to 1.9 litres.  It was actually alittle too much because as the mixture started to freeze, air was of couse incorporated into it from the constant churning and it was starting to rise slowly through the top opening.  What to do….we all grabbed spoons and started sampling..Heaven forbid it go to waste.  I also added 2 tbsps of vodka to the mixture so it wouldn’t freeze into a solid block.  It still ended up freezing pretty hard, so next time I might add an extra one or two tbsps of vodka.

In his description of the recipe, David Lebovitz states that you can add an extra 3 egg yolks for a richer taste. ( of course I had to add the extra egg yolks.  Who wouldn’t want the richest tasting ice cream possibel )  So since I made a double batch and added the extra eggs yolks, I ended up with a total of 16 egg yolks.  The custard cooked up great.  I only had a tiny bit of curdling at the end of the cooking process, not enough to mess up the recipe. 

Next will be Rose’s vanilla ice cream recipe.  It will be interesting to compare the two.

Thank you for the sorbet recipe Kyle.  My husband loves sorbet.

Posted: 31 May 2011 11:37 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3171
Joined  2010-04-25

Hi, all!

First, congrats, Liza on your first batch!!

Has anyone discovered a solution to the relatively significant amount of ice cream that gets frozen to the walls of the insert?  I have to apply a good deal of force to get it off, and it is, of course, harder than the ‘regular’ ice cream.  I suppose there’s not much that can be done about it, but I thought I’d ask just in case!

Liza, do you taste the vodka in the ice cream?

Thanks!

—ak

Posted: 31 May 2011 11:52 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 13 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4797
Joined  2008-04-16

Liza, sounds like a fun and successful inaugural run!  Caramel ice cream is also divine, I like it as caramel-coffee. smile  Happy Summer!

Signature 

Brød & Taylor Test Kitchen:  Greek-style yogurt recipe

Posted: 31 May 2011 12:30 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 14 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1088
Joined  2009-05-26

Liza! Happy Birthday! That is a good and fancy ice cream maker. I have the non stainless steel one.

You don’t find the vanilla ice cream too egg-y? That’s always my issue with vanilla. I made vanilla bing cherry ice cream last year (Rose’s recipe of vanilla ice cream but add the cherry and it seems to solve the issue). It was good.

What cake will you make for your birthday? Will it have ice cream in it?

Anne - for the ice cream that stuck on the sides of the container. You can just leave the container on the counter for 5 minutes or so until it soften. And then scoop it out (or in my case, I sampled it.) It works smile.

Signature 

http://www.knittybaker.blogspot.com/

Posted: 31 May 2011 12:32 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 15 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1088
Joined  2009-05-26

Liza, oops! I just saw the post on the birthday cake… Will go comment there cheese/

Signature 

http://www.knittybaker.blogspot.com/

1 of 2