What is the consistency of Mousseline Buttercream supposed to be like?
Posted: 27 May 2011 11:53 PM   [ Ignore ]
Rank
Total Posts:  16
Joined  2011-05-24

This is the first time I’ve made this, and , ummmm.  I may have made a lot of errors along the way.  I worry you will laugh hysterically when I tell you that I decided to use the “Mousseline to serve 150” recipe, since my graduation cake baking project had gotten out of hand and my cake was giant.  I made 2 white 11 X 15 cakes, and 2 chocolate 11 X 15 cakes and placed the chocolate and white side by side, each layered with white chocolate cream cheese buttercream.  I am frosting it as one cake.  So it is really really big.  I didn’t think about the fact that I would need to split this into two batches until I had already whipped my butter and the egg whites and had the syrup boiling.  I added the syrup to the egg whites, then split the egg whites, the butter, and the white chocolate, and proceeded in two batches from there.

Anyway, to the point of my post, it turned out, like sweetened butter.  It is kind of soft and greasy.  Is there anything I can do to get it right?

Posted: 28 May 2011 09:05 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  610
Joined  2007-11-27

It’s probably a little too late; but try chilling it for a little while (10 minutes) and then rebeating.  The mousseline is generally soft when made with very soft butter; it can be firmer if the butter is cooler (not cold) when added but it isn’t greasy. The emulsion might not have been successful when you divided the batch.  Sometimes people who like cream cheese frosting or the sweeter version (like many bakery-style frostings or canned frosting) find the mousseline too buttery by comparison.

Try it again with the regular batch size and see what you think.  There are a few too many variables in your first experience to know exactly what might have contributed to the greasy/soft texture/taste!

Signature 

I Dream of Jeanne Cakes selected by Brides Magazine as one of their 100 Favorite Bakers (2013)

Posted: 29 May 2011 10:14 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Rank
Joined  2011-05-24

Thanks.  I did end up chilling it all night, then letting it come back to a little cooler than room temp.  I rebeat it, and it was much much better.  Not as heavy, but still too buttery for my taste.  This may be sacrilegious here, but my son likes a frosting that is made with milk and flour.  I’m not sure what it’s called.  I think it is the kind that often goes on a red velvet cake.  Anyway, I took the mousseline at this point, and added a mixture of 2 cups milk with a half cup of flour, that had been thickened on the stove then cooled.  It turned out so good!  Everyone raved about the frosting and said it was the best ever!

Posted: 29 May 2011 12:48 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3171
Joined  2010-04-25

Hi, Mary!

I have often used the milk-thickened-with-flour to both lighten and “unsweeten” frostings that I thought were too sweet, so I know just what you mean about how it can be just what a frosting needs.  I’m glad that this worked for you with the moussline!!

—ak

Posted: 29 May 2011 10:49 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4839
Joined  2008-04-16

If you like the milk/custard based frosting, consider the silk meringue- my favorite.

Signature 

Brød & Taylor Test Kitchen:  Peanut Butter Cups, All Grown Up

Posted: 29 May 2011 11:00 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3171
Joined  2010-04-25

I’ll second that the silk meringue buttercream is fabulous!!!

Posted: 30 May 2011 10:00 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Rank
Joined  2011-05-24

Thanks!  I will have to try that!

Posted: 25 August 2011 03:27 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  6
Joined  2009-03-30

I have made the mousseline buttercream recipe from the cake bible a number of times and got a light product with perfect consistency. But I have also made it a few times ( like today) when it turned out like you described, heavy, greasy, like sweet butter.  I have not figured out what is causing this and i sure would like to find out.  Does anyone have any idea?  thanks.