freezing palet d’or cake
Posted: 28 May 2011 10:15 AM   [ Ignore ]
Rank
Total Posts:  24
Joined  2007-12-20

I’m juggling too many other baking things the weekend of my son’s graduation party.  Do the kind advisors here think I could successfully freeze the cake with the smooth ganache covering it, then thaw it overnight before pouring the lacquer glaze over on the day it is to be served?

Posted: 28 May 2011 12:45 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4789
Joined  2008-04-16

Should work just fine.  Be sure to double-wrap tightly and perhaps foil on top of that to protect the flavor and moisture.

Signature 

Brød & Taylor Test Kitchen:  How to Make Sourdough More (or Less) Sour

Posted: 28 May 2011 03:40 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Rank
Joined  2007-12-20

Thanks for your confirmation.  RHC has less information about storage and freezing times than TCB, but from my checking earlier recipes, I thought I could freeze both the cake and the ganache made with creme fraiche.  My son’s graduation party is an almost all chocolate extravaganza, so I have been baking, wrapping in plastic, and wrapping over in foil various parts of the menu since March.  My dilemma is juggling several last minute things the day before and the day of the party while hosting out-of-town guests.  Now I’m off to bake giant oblivion tortes….

Posted: 28 May 2011 11:49 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-04-16

Good luck!

If you have any pictures (especially the cake, etc.), we’d love to see them smile

Signature 

Posted: 29 May 2011 12:09 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Rank
Joined  2007-12-20

The party is June 12.  I’ll post photos when I empty the house of overnight guests afterwards.  Most of the 20ish desserts come from the Mt. Rushmore of chocolate baking:  Rose, Marcel Desaulniers, Alice Medrich, and Lisa Yokelson, with a few recipes from vintage Bon Appetit for variety’s sake.  While my finishing isn’t quite as gorgeous as many accomplished bakers on this website, the overall effect of a smorgasbord of chocolate should have the attendees in a swoon.

Posted: 29 May 2011 10:50 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-04-16
Opallady - 29 May 2011 03:09 AM

the overall effect of a smorgasbord of chocolate should have the attendees in a swoon.

Indeed!

Signature 

Posted: 29 May 2011 11:03 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3166
Joined  2010-04-25

Yes, just the thought of a smorgasbord of chocolate has me swooning!!!!

Posted: 15 June 2011 02:51 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Rank
Joined  2007-12-20

My son’s high school graduation party was my 7th lifetime chocolate party.  Here is a shot of the table before the last two desserts came out of the frige.  Some are Rose’s, some Marcel’s, one from Alice, one or two from old Bon Appetit, and one from me!  The 80 folks in attendence generally swooned when they first saw the table.  Mission:  accomplished!  The Palet d’Or cake was a hoot; I’ll write about the trials of the glazing, trials of my own making, later today.

Image Attachments
IMG_0036.jpg

Posted: 15 June 2011 10:05 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-04-16

Looks amazing!!!  You must have worked for weeks ahead to pull that all together.

Signature 

Posted: 15 June 2011 10:57 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3166
Joined  2010-04-25

Spellbinding!  What a gorgeous display of shapes and colors ... and what anticipation of flavors and textures!!!!!