Genoise classique cake make with organic APF: wheat free and gluten free
Posted: 28 May 2011 06:16 PM   [ Ignore ]
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  62
Joined  2010-01-24

I made this genoise classique cake with organic APF:wheat free, gluten free and cornstach. The cake rose beautifully 1/2” above the pan and was back to 2” height. The frosting is almond milk dark chocolate ganache. The cake was moist and the ganache was so good. Next time, I will try to use potato starch instead of cornstarch.
Just want to share with you guys. Love all Rose’s cakes.

I also have a question. Is it possible to use Rose’s butter cake recipe for this pan?

Thanks for your help.

Image Attachments
Gluten-free cake.jpgGluten-free cake1.jpgIrregular cake pan.jpg

Posted: 28 May 2011 10:58 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3171
Joined  2010-04-25

Congratulations Bean (and welcome)!

What flour did you use?  That is an impressive layer!!!!!

I can’t be sure about your domed pan, but I would think it would be too deep to successfully bake a butter cake in it.  It looks like the pan height limit for butter cakes is pretty much 2”, but someone out there might know something else.  It might work with a heating core, which would make it sort of a pseudo-bundt.

Happy happy baking!!  Looking forward to seeing more!

—ak

Posted: 02 June 2011 10:30 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  62
Joined  2010-01-24

Thank you Anne for the advise. I used Red Mill’s APF, however, the cake had a weird after taste. Today, I tried to make the cake again with White Rice flour + potato starch (also Red Mill).
My family loved it. There was no after taste. The cake was moist, but the height was about 1 1/2”. Maybe my potato starch was old (I bought the potato starch around Christmas time).

Image Attachments
Cake1.jpg

Posted: 02 June 2011 10:58 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3171
Joined  2010-04-25

Hi, bean!

I’m simply amazed at the wonderful crumb you are getting with these gluten-free cakes! 

Yeah, gotta watch out for ingredient funkiness.  I’ve had to throw out bags of flour that were quite full from the freezer just because they got that ‘freezer taste.’  I’ll be more careful when I freezer flour—but flours/starches, etc., can be fussy storage items, to be sure!!

Lovely cake!!!!

—ak