Baking a cake designed for a fluted tube pan in a 7” pan
Posted: 31 May 2011 11:52 AM   [ Ignore ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3170
Joined  2010-04-25

Hi, all!

I know that structure issues often prohibit a particular cake from being baked in a ‘regular’ cake pan (unless using a flower nail or core) and require that it be baked in a fluted tube pan.

Would this still hold true if the pan were considerably smaller—say, a 7” round pan?  Of course, 7” is still a greater distance than the 4” (or so) across a tube pan, but it’s so much shallower.

Picked two up at Sur La Table’s 40% off sale and wondered if I could make cakes designed for savarin rings and bundts in it (scaled down, naturally).

Thanks for any thoughts!

—ak

Posted: 31 May 2011 12:43 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4795
Joined  2008-04-16

Oooo, wish I had a nice 7” pan.  Perfect for half recipes smile

I think it depends on the cake.  A true Savarin is a brioche-style bread with plenty of structure and would bake up just fine in a layer pan.  And many of Rose’s tube pan butter cakes have the structure of a layer (choc velvet, golden lemon almond).  But it may be a try-it-and-see thing.

Signature 

Brød & Taylor Test Kitchen:  Greek-style yogurt recipe

Posted: 31 May 2011 12:48 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2010-04-25

Thank you, Julie!  I was very thrilled to see them! I originally wanted 6”, but all the 6” had removable bottoms.  But they had 7”, and I realized, hey, that’s even better!!!  It’s quite thrilling, because it makes me feel very ‘safe’ experimenting since I can use tiny amounts—plus I can bake more often if I make smaller cakes!!  I guess I’ll just have to see what happens.

Posted: 31 May 2011 02:19 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1421
Joined  2007-11-15

Anne, I think u r on the right direction.  butter cakes using baking powder and bundt pans, “are” safe on small layer pans.  the ideal would be a 4” pan such as Texas muffins or my mini silicone pandoros (in fact, I do all the time).  I will guess a 6 or 7 would give slight sunken centers.  a mini or regular cupcake pan would give slight volcano centers or a ultra airy texture.

I can prevent sunken centers by baking at 25-50 degrees higher during the first half of baking time.

I can tame volcano centers by baking at 25-50 degrees lower during the second half of baking time.

and most defenitelly, u need a thermometer to test for doneness whenever baking with any pan other than what the recipe calls for.

happy baking and ps:  look for my take on She Loves Me cake as cupcakes.  no adjustments on baking powder.

Signature 

http://myyellowkitchen.com/index-equipment-html/

Posted: 31 May 2011 02:21 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-11-15

oh, and the fastest way to drop the temperature is by crank open the oven door till ur oven thermometer reaches the new temperature.

Signature 

Posted: 31 May 2011 03:13 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2010-04-25

Thanks, Hector!

And thanks for the great tips re temperature!!!!!

Wow, your Love Cupcakes are beautiful!!!!  And, I might add—in fact, I will add—that I love your cinnamon crumb coffee cake variations!!!!  Did you have a fave??

Posted: 31 May 2011 03:26 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-11-15

purple sweet potatoe :=)

Signature