Sour Cream Coffee Cake with sunken crust
Posted: 31 May 2011 03:38 PM   [ Ignore ]
Rank
Total Posts:  22
Joined  2011-05-31

Yesterday, I made Rose’s SCCC with frozen peaches from TCB for the first time, and although it smelled amazing and tasted divine, I was not happy with how it looked! Aside from most of the crust tearing when I removed the buttered foil, all of the streusel topping sunk to the middle! Has anyone else had this problem? How do I avoid it? I want to try this cake again with apples, so any pointers would be appreciated! Here’s a pic of my very tasty mis-hap smile

Image Attachments
P5307026_f.jpg

Posted: 31 May 2011 11:20 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1421
Joined  2007-11-15

it seems to me that the topping was placed too early?  i think the cake needs to set almost nearly done, prior adding the topping.  i’ve just posted my takes on my blog and none sunk.

Signature 

http://myyellowkitchen.com/index-equipment-html/

Posted: 31 May 2011 11:27 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Rank
Joined  2011-05-31

Oh wow, I guess I did! The recipe in The Cake Bible says to add the topping prior to baking so that’s what I did… has it been revised in Heavenly Cakes? I need to pick that one up. Your cakes look beautiful! At what point did you add the topping?

Posted: 01 June 2011 12:54 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1421
Joined  2007-11-15

haven’t made CB’s version, so I cant say.  But RHC’s version is well explained.  happy baking…

Signature 

http://myyellowkitchen.com/index-equipment-html/

Posted: 01 June 2011 07:55 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4791
Joined  2008-04-16

I’ve made the Cake Bible version and the topping didn’t sink.  But it has been revised for RHC, to add the topping later, so enough people must have had the problem to warrant the change.

Were your peaches still frozen when you layered them in the batter?  I’m wondering if the cold peaches may have slowed the setting of the batter long enough for the topping to sink. 

I’ll bet it was still delicious!

Signature 

Brød & Taylor Test Kitchen:  How to Make Sourdough More (or Less) Sour

Posted: 01 June 2011 10:27 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  939
Joined  2009-09-16

Alcan makes a non-stick aluminum foil called Slide.  I have baked honey garlic chicken wings and ribs on it and it really does work.  Nothing sticks to it, and makes clean-up a breeze.  There is a dull side and a shiny side.  The dull side is the one that comes in contact with what ever food you are making.  Just another option if you don’t want to use buttered foil.

Posted: 01 June 2011 10:48 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Rank
Joined  2011-05-31

Thanks Hector. When I get the HC book, I’ll try that version.
...Julie, I did make sure the peaches were thawed but thank you, it was so delicious! I found a video on youtube of Rose making the original version of the cake and she said she refrigerated the topping while preparing the batter—I think I’m going to try that because mine did get rather soft while I was preparing the batter, causing it to break up into larger clumps when I put it on top.
.....Liza, that is an awesome tip; I’m definitely going to try and find that. Rose also said on her video to put the foil on as early as 30 minutes (instead of 45 like it says in the book) because if the topping burns, it’ll be more likely to sink.

Looking forward to making this delicious cake again smile Thanks for the help!

Posted: 01 June 2011 11:22 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3168
Joined  2010-04-25

Yes, Liza, thanks!  I wondered what that non-stick aluminum foil would be used for, but I should have realized how well it would work for baked goods!!!  Much of the top of my pound cake stuck to the foil, as well!!

Posted: 02 June 2011 12:21 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1031
Joined  2007-11-21

It seems to be a problem in some ovens.  I made the cake bible version many times…no sinking.  Then I got a new oven…and it started sinking.  If your oven is even a tiny bit below temperature, it will sink.  the batter needs to set quickly.  (I now use the heavenly cakes version…less sinking issues…but sometimes, it still dips a bit in the middle.

Posted: 02 June 2011 01:26 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4791
Joined  2008-04-16

Bill, that makes perfect sense as it has never happened to me and my oven runs a little hot.

Signature 

Brød & Taylor Test Kitchen:  How to Make Sourdough More (or Less) Sour