Decoration on ganache
Posted: 02 June 2011 10:09 PM   [ Ignore ]
Rank
Total Posts:  4
Joined  2011-06-02

Hi there,

I have Rose’s heavenly cakes book and did the ganache for Bernachon Palet D’or Gateau (supposed to be creme fraiche, but i used sour cream as substitution). I did not do the glaze due to shortage of time, and wanted to add some decorations on it. Piped royal icing words on the ganache, but it ended up melting into the ganache. Can you advise what has gone wrong?

Appreciate your help! Thank you.

Posted: 03 June 2011 02:13 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  156
Joined  2011-06-02

Well, if the icing has melted, my guess is that the ganache was still warm.
If it was room temp, have you tried putting the cake in the fridge, just to harden the ganache a bit? Though the ganache will lose a bit of its shine.

Signature 

McBrownie.

Posted: 03 June 2011 08:02 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4783
Joined  2008-04-16

I would guess that the water in your ganache reacted with the royal icing.  I don’t work with royal icing, but I think it won’t hold up on anything that isn’t pretty dry, and your subsitution of sour cream for the creme fraiche means that your ganache had more water and less butterfat in it than the original recipe.  Not sure if royal icing would work even with the regular ganache, though, as it still has plenty of water.  Buttercream would work on ganache, as would melted white chocolate (more difficult) or white ganache.

Signature 

B&T Blog:  Cultured Butter Recipe

Posted: 03 June 2011 11:59 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  903
Joined  2009-05-25

I have also done fondant cutouts on SET ganache glaze.  They will absorb some moisture and soften, but will look ok for a short period of time.  Chocolate plastique cutouts are great instead.

Posted: 13 June 2011 03:47 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  4
Joined  2011-06-02

Hi all,

Thank you for your replies/advices. I did it again with buttercream and it turned out wonderfully. Also managed to hunt down some creme fraiche so as to stay true to the recipe. smile