Making the Apple Upside Downcake but have no baking stone
Posted: 02 June 2011 11:08 PM   [ Ignore ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3171
Joined  2010-04-25

Hi, all!

I’m planning to make this this weekend, but I have no baking stone.  Naturally, I would still love a dark caramel color!!

Would it work to use a half-sheet jelly roll pan instead of a baking stone—set the cake pan on a half-sheet jelly roll pan?  If so, do I preheat the JRP?  I assume I use it regular and not upside down, etc.

I’d love any thoughts as to whether this would or wouldn’t work (or other alternatives).

One other question, for this cake, I can’t figure out if the apples are cut into wedges (sort of like frozen peaches) or in half-rings (sort of like pineapple).  Couldn’t quite tell from the instructions.  Thoughts????

Thanks!!!

—ak

Posted: 03 June 2011 03:06 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  69
Joined  2010-03-20

From what I remember from “The Pie and Pastry Bible”, I think that what you suggest is OK. There are recipes there that call for baking stones but it says that using a large cookie sheet works too. I would assume that the same remark applies in this situation as well.

Re: your second question, isn’t there a picture of the cake in the book? I don’t have it with me right now.

Posted: 03 June 2011 03:08 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRankRank
Joined  2010-03-20

And yes, you should preheat the cookie sheet.

Posted: 03 June 2011 03:42 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
RankRankRank
Joined  2010-03-20

I just looked at the book and the apples are cut into thin wedges (1/4-inch thick).

Posted: 03 June 2011 08:07 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4839
Joined  2008-04-16

Yes, I think if you don’t have a stone, a preheated sheet pan makes a reasonable substitute.

You can cut the fruit any way you like, just be mindful that the weight and thickness of the fruit are correct, to avoid any problems with it over- or under-cooking, or not having enough juices to dissolve the caramel.

Signature 

Brød & Taylor Test Kitchen:  Peanut Butter Cups, All Grown Up

Posted: 03 June 2011 11:05 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2010-04-25

Many, many thanks, Jose and Julie!!!

Posted: 23 December 2011 03:30 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  29
Joined  2011-12-23

Hi Anne…everyone! This is my first post here ever and I just have a few questions about the apple upside down cake. 

Just made this today…I just inverted the cake and was disappointed that there’s no caramel syrup that drizzled off the sides of the cake.  What could I have done wrong?  When I made the caramel topping and poured it in the pan, it didn’t completely cover the entire pan perhaps due to a lack of the liquid from the apples?  Only let them sit for around 30 mins.  How much liquid from the apples were you able to use?  I only had probably around 1/4 cup of liquid.

Also, I completely misread the recipe and didn’t put apples on the sides of the pan, and when I loosened the sides with a spatula, some of the cake came off with it and now the sides kind of look ugly.  Any suggestions on how to fix it?  I wonder if piping shell border or rosettes around the sides with the bourbon whipped cream will help? 

Still looks good though and can’t wait to try it! I plan to serve it for tomorrow eve’s dinner so would it be OK to leave it in room temperature until then? 

Thanks in advance for the response!

Signature 

http://thekitchenismyshrink.blogspot.com/

Posted: 23 December 2011 07:17 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4839
Joined  2008-04-16

To unmold the sides, you run the knife or spatula all the way around, holding it flat against the pan.  But they do need to be either greased/floured or covered with the apples.

To seal the sides, you could spread melted apricot jam or jelly over the sides.  Then you could press chopped walnuts into the sides to cover, they will stick to the jam and it will look like you meant to do it that way. smile

It should be fine at room temp for a day, but be sure to cover it well, with both plastic and foil, so it won’t loose moisture.

Sorry, I don’t know about how much liquid the apples should exude, I haven’t made this exact cake, only an apple version of the pineapple upsidedown cake from the Cake Bible.  Perhaps others who have made this will chime in?

Signature 

Brød & Taylor Test Kitchen:  Peanut Butter Cups, All Grown Up

Posted: 24 December 2011 10:05 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2010-04-25

Hi, Disco!

I looked back at my thread (http://www.realbakingwithrose.com/index_ee.php/forums/viewthread/3528/), and I didn’t mention how much liquid I had.  I know it wasn’t much, though—I doubt it was more than 1/4 cup.  I wanted to direct you to the post so you’re not shocked at how different it can look the next day (mine was refrigerated, though).

Another possible to fix the sides is to use jelly to “glue” the stuck piece to the otherwise whole cake.

I’m wondering if you didn’t get as much caramel because of not having apples on the side—when they’re on teh side, you have lots more apple in contact with the heat, and the juice from the side apples can drip down to the bottom and help make more caramel (jsut a guess).  The 2nd entry in my post shows how I arranged the apples on the bottom and sides.

Looking forward to hearing if you loved the cake!!!  I find that even when my Rose cakes don’t come out exactly as I’d hoped (for whatever reason), they still manage to be delicous!!!

Posted: 24 December 2011 12:48 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  212
Joined  2009-10-01

Disco, this is the first recipe I made from RHC. I also did not get much liquid from the apples, and I certainly didn’t have caramel dripping down the side, nor was it particularly dark, despite using a baking stone. All that said, it was absolutely delicious, a wonderful cake. I know we (I) tend to be disappointed if our results don’t equal Rose’s, but the products are usually so far superior to “normal” desserts that it doesn’t matter that much, I think. Good luck.

Posted: 24 December 2011 10:18 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1652
Joined  2011-02-17

I’ve made this recipe several times, without a baking stone, and it is to die-for.  It is a fabulous recipe.

Good luck.

Posted: 25 December 2011 12:22 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
Rank
Joined  2011-12-23
Julie - 23 December 2011 11:17 PM

To unmold the sides, you run the knife or spatula all the way around, holding it flat against the pan.  But they do need to be either greased/floured or covered with the apples.

To seal the sides, you could spread melted apricot jam or jelly over the sides.  Then you could press chopped walnuts into the sides to cover, they will stick to the jam and it will look like you meant to do it that way. smile

It should be fine at room temp for a day, but be sure to cover it well, with both plastic and foil, so it won’t loose moisture.

Sorry, I don’t know about how much liquid the apples should exude, I haven’t made this exact cake, only an apple version of the pineapple upsidedown cake from the Cake Bible.  Perhaps others who have made this will chime in?

Thanks for that suggestion Julie! I did end up brushing the sides of the cake with apricot jelly as you suggested which even crumb coated the cake as well..I then stuck walnuts on the sides and ended up looking really pretty and appetizing as well!  Next time I make this I’ll try adding walnuts to the bottom and sides pre-baking and see how it goes as I want the walnuts to go through caramelization as well. 

Happy Holidays!

Signature 

Posted: 25 December 2011 12:26 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]
Rank
Joined  2011-12-23
Anne in NC - 24 December 2011 02:05 PM

Hi, Disco!

I looked back at my thread (http://www.realbakingwithrose.com/index_ee.php/forums/viewthread/3528/), and I didn’t mention how much liquid I had.  I know it wasn’t much, though—I doubt it was more than 1/4 cup.  I wanted to direct you to the post so you’re not shocked at how different it can look the next day (mine was refrigerated, though).

Another possible to fix the sides is to use jelly to “glue” the stuck piece to the otherwise whole cake.

I’m wondering if you didn’t get as much caramel because of not having apples on the side—when they’re on teh side, you have lots more apple in contact with the heat, and the juice from the side apples can drip down to the bottom and help make more caramel (jsut a guess).  The 2nd entry in my post shows how I arranged the apples on the bottom and sides.

Looking forward to hearing if you loved the cake!!!  I find that even when my Rose cakes don’t come out exactly as I’d hoped (for whatever reason), they still manage to be delicous!!!

You’re absolutely right! I think the lack of juices may be due to the lack of apples on the sides.  This cake still turned out amazing though and everyone in my house including my husband who isn’t really a fan of sweets, couldn’t get enough of this cake and even asked that I bake another one pronto!  This cake will definitely be a staple in our house from now on.  I’m also making homemade vanilla extract and can’t wait to try it on this cake!  smile

Thanks so much for your input and posting a link to the thread.  Yours turned out gorgeous and evenly browned!  I used a baking stone for this and I don’t know what happened but the resulting caramelization turned out blotchy…dark brown patches of caramel mixed with pale areas…the apples ended up making a disappearing act LOL.  I think I won’t use a stone next time. I was also able to eat this both refrigerated and unrefrigerated and both were still velvety and delicious!

Signature 

Posted: 25 December 2011 12:33 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 13 ]
Rank
Joined  2011-12-23
knit1bake1 - 24 December 2011 04:48 PM

Disco, this is the first recipe I made from RHC. I also did not get much liquid from the apples, and I certainly didn’t have caramel dripping down the side, nor was it particularly dark, despite using a baking stone. All that said, it was absolutely delicious, a wonderful cake. I know we (I) tend to be disappointed if our results don’t equal Rose’s, but the products are usually so far superior to “normal” desserts that it doesn’t matter that much, I think. Good luck.

LOL I know what you mean knit1bake1!  Rose’s photos are so beautiful to look at that I too want mine to be that picture perfect!  It’s my first time to do this 2-stage method as well and I am hooked on this method!  I don’t think creaming the butter, sugar, etc would achieve a cake with this velvety crumb!  Even my mom who’s an avid baker couldn’t believe how the cake melted in her mouth.  She asked for the recipe after her first bite!

Signature 

Posted: 25 December 2011 12:35 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 14 ]
Rank
Joined  2011-12-23
Flour Girl - 25 December 2011 02:18 AM

I’ve made this recipe several times, without a baking stone, and it is to die-for.  It is a fabulous recipe.

Good luck.

This cake is to-die-for indeed! Can’t wait to make the other cakes in her book!! smile

Signature