PUREED FRUIT SUBSITUTE - HELP PLEASE
Posted: 03 June 2011 04:44 AM   [ Ignore ]
Rank
Total Posts:  2
Joined  2011-06-03

Good day!

am new at this forum. hope somebody can help me out.  it concerns with pureed fruits.  my place is not abundant with fruits and i have this recipe that calls for pureed strawberries, can i just omit this and instead of making a strawberry flavored cake i’ll just keep mine simple.  do i need to increase the milk? the milk in my recipe calls for 1/4 cup and the pureed strawberry calls for 1/4 cup too . . .  hope someone can help smile

Posted: 03 June 2011 08:49 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4807
Joined  2008-04-16

Strawberries are not just liquid, they have fiber, acid, sugar, etc., all of which would need to be taken into account.  You might need to adjust flour, liquid, and leavening.  Perhaps it would be easier to jjust use a different recipe, one that uses the ingredients you have on hand.

Signature 

Brød & Taylor Test Kitchen:  Greek-style yogurt recipe

Posted: 03 June 2011 10:27 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  79
Joined  2011-03-01

Peculiar, Do you have access to any jams or jellies? They might be good substitutions, even if not strawberry. Where are you located?

Signature 

kyle

http://www.adventuresingoodfood.com

Posted: 03 June 2011 01:29 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  2
Joined  2011-06-03

Julie - thanks, maybe i’ll do another kind.

K Nelson - in the Philippines . . . Strawberries here are so expensive, its about $9 for 200 to 400 grams . . . if i will be using the jelly or jam kind, do i still need to change the amount of the liquid, flour, leavening agent etc. (as what Julie mentioned)

Posted: 26 June 2011 10:58 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  7
Joined  2011-06-26

Can you get frozen? that is a great option in a pinch.  I would think if you used jelly or jam you will have to adjust your liquid.  kmaybe you could use applesauce.  It can be used to replace moister and oil? is that anymore abuntant where you are.  I would test whatever you do just to make sure. Good luck

Signature 

Happy People Eat Cake