Making Cake Bible recipes using a Magic Mill mixer
Posted: 01 May 2008 01:53 AM   [ Ignore ]
Rank
Total Posts:  9
Joined  2008-03-06

I’m not sure whether this question belongs here in the Cakes forum or if it belongs in the Equipment forum, but anyway, here goes.

I know that Rose’s recipes in the Cake Bible were developed for a planetary mixer like a KA.  They’re a different mixing technique from most other cake recipes that you see.  A KA is a powerful mixer and can develop a cake’s structure in a very short period of time so the mixing times for the cakers are about 1 - 3 minutes.

I love my Magic Mill mixer (AKA Electrolux DLX).  grin  It makes the smoothest batters and doughs you’ve ever seen with its scraper & roller system.  But it’s a much more gentle process than a KA, so the mixing times for cake batters don’t work with a Magic Mill.  But…. I can’t tell you how many times I’ve been disappointed with Rose’s cakes when I’ve used the MM.  The cakes just crumble and fall apart, leaving me to think that they had insufficient structure developed.  hmmm

So I’m wondering if Rose (or anyone) has any advice as to how to adjust the mixing times for use with a Magic Mill mixer.  I’m sure that part of the problem is that I don’t really know how to tell (or even if there is a way to tell) when enough structure has been developed. 

I’d really appreciate some help/advice… I love baking cakes and would bake more if I had more confidence in the process with my Magic Mill.  tongue laugh

Thanks in advance for any help!

Posted: 01 May 2008 05:25 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1420
Joined  2007-11-15

I wonder if you try using the whisk on your Electrolux, even when a flat beater is called for on Rose’s recipes, you may get better results?

Signature 

http://myyellowkitchen.com/index-equipment-html/

Posted: 02 May 2008 08:12 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4789
Joined  2008-04-16

I also have a less-than-KA mixer, and I generally double the beating times, with good results.  Mostly I bake genoise, so lots of egg beating is essential. 

I will say that my stand mixer, which doesn’t have planetary action, is great for buttercreams because you can use both hands to add the hot sugar syrup while the mixer’s running.

Julie

Signature 

Brød & Taylor Test Kitchen:  How to Make Sourdough More (or Less) Sour

Posted: 02 May 2008 09:07 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  632
Joined  2008-01-24

I have the 5 quart KA but I don’t use it very much. Especially for cakes I just grab my trusty hand mixer. I have made many of Rose’s recipes that way with no failures and I have never really thought about mixing times until I saw this post. Maybe the Magic Mill doesn’t incorporate enough air in the batter?

Signature 

“This pizza is a symphony of flavors”

Posted: 04 May 2008 08:47 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  143
Joined  2007-11-17
housewolf - 01 May 2008 04:53 AM

I love my Magic Mill mixer (AKA Electrolux DLX).  grin  It makes the smoothest batters and doughs you’ve ever seen with its scraper & roller system.  But it’s a much more gentle process than a KA, so the mixing times for cake batters don’t work with a Magic Mill.  But…. I can’t tell you how many times I’ve been disappointed with Rose’s cakes when I’ve used the MM.  The cakes just crumble and fall apart, leaving me to think that they had insufficient structure developed.  hmmm

So I’m wondering if Rose (or anyone) has any advice as to how to adjust the mixing times for use with a Magic Mill mixer.  I’m sure that part of the problem is that I don’t really know how to tell (or even if there is a way to tell) when enough structure has been developed. 

I’d really appreciate some help/advice… I love baking cakes and would bake more if I had more confidence in the process with my Magic Mill.  tongue laugh

Thanks in advance for any help!

Hi,

Try playing around with the mixing times. I have made Rose’s cakes with a KA and a handheld electric beater and get good results, which makes me think your MM should work as well.

Some of the Cake Bible cakes are delicate, and I usually increase the mixing times for them to make them sturdier. The batters are truly hard to overmix.

Nick Malgieri in his book Perfect Cakes mixes in 2 minute segments (dry ingredients + butter + 1/3 liquid are mixed for 2 minutes, then add second 1/3 of liquids beat for another 2 minutes, repeat for the last third). I haven’t quite gone up to 2 minutes but I have tried 2mins/1min/1min/1min and it seems to do the trick for me = sturdy cake but still tender and no texture problems at all.

Good luck. smile

Signature 

Come visit my blog
http://occasionalbaker.blogspot.com