Perfect Pound Cake in food processor
Posted: 03 June 2011 11:23 PM   [ Ignore ]
Rank
Total Posts:  1
Joined  2011-06-03

My post is about Rose’s Perfect Pound Cake from The Cake Bible.

Is it possible to make this cake using a food processor?  If so, what would the timings be?

Specifically: 

The original recipe says to “add the butter and half the egg mixture….beat for 1 minute on medium speed (or high speed if using a hand mixer).”  What would this be for a food processor?

Then…

When adding the remaining egg mixture in two batches, it says to beat for 20 seconds after each addition.  What would that be for a food processor?

I’m thinking that maybe the timings would be cut in half for a food processor.  That’s just a guess.

Or would it be better to mix this cake by hand? (since I don’t have a mixer at the moment).

I’ve made many of Rose’s cakes before and even used her process for other cake recipes in the past so I’m familiar with how things should look during the mixing process.  But would appreciate some time guidelines for this particular cake.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Posted: 04 June 2011 12:27 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1352
Joined  2008-09-27
Hyacinth Bucket - 04 June 2011 02:23 AM

I?m thinking that maybe the timings would be cut in half for a food processor.

If it’s possible at all, it would be seconds only, or you’ll over develop the gluten.  I’m not sure the FP would adequately aerate the batter.

Signature 

If error is corrected whenever it is recognized as such, the path of error is the path of truth.

—Hans Reichenbach

Posted: 04 June 2011 08:54 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  69
Joined  2010-03-20

America’s Test Kitchen (aka Cook’s Illustrated) has a recipe for pound cake using a food processor. I read a blog from a group of people who did a side-by-side comparison test of ATK’s recipe and Rose’s recipe. They said they prefer the Cook’s Illustrated’s recipe over Rose’s.

Therefore, if you are looking for an excellent recipe for pound cake using a food processor, you should give their recipe a try.