Rose’s Favorite Yellow layer cake cupcakes were a little dry
Posted: 06 June 2011 10:58 PM   [ Ignore ]
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  84
Joined  2011-06-06

I made some cupcakes for an event this weekend.  I probably should have tested the recipe first, but relying on Rose’s recipes is usually a safe bet.  I found the recipe here:  http://www.realbakingwithrose.com/2005/10/roses_favorite_yellow_layer_ca.html 

I tried to salvage them with simple syrup but it wasn’t a huge improvement.  Since I had decided on a White Chocolate Raspberry Mousseline for the frosting, I quickly made one last attempt at salvaging them.  I made a raspberry syrup and injected the bottoms with about 5ml of syrup.  The zing of the raspberry cut through the butter and it was a remarkable improvement.  Don’t know if the clients were happy…  I haven’t heard back, but we’ll see.  It could be hit or miss.

I read through the comments and found that Rose had said to use 2 eggs instead of 4 egg yolks for cupcakes, which I did.  I also weighed the ingredients meticulously, so that’s not the problem.  Could I have possibly overbaked?  Have any of you used the original recipe for cupcakes?

Image Attachments
raspberry cupcake.jpgraspberry cupcake 2.jpg

Posted: 06 June 2011 11:08 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3147
Joined  2010-04-25

Doux, it’s you again with that great piping and those pearls!  It’s so funny, becuase I didn’t read who made the post, but when I saw the pictures, I thought, “I wonder if that’s Doux?”  So, you already have a little trademark, which I suppose means I have to send you a quarter if I try that myself! 

Anyway, I know cupcakes can be tricky if they’re the least bit overbaked, and that the paper can pull moisture from them, but you seem to ‘know your stuff,’ so I figure you have accounted for all that.  Hopefully a cupcake expert will be able to help, but I just wanted to say your cupcakes are lovely and injecting with the raspberry syrup was a great idea!

Posted: 06 June 2011 11:19 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRankRank
Joined  2011-06-06

LOL Anne. 

Yeah I still had the pearls sitting out when I made that red velvet cake today and I figured, why not! I do tend to gravitate to the pearls, though!

Hope a cupcake expert can chime in.  I must have just overbaked them.  Bummer.  At least the raspberry syrup gave me a good idea for a few other recipes! There is a bright side to failing, lol.

Posted: 07 June 2011 03:49 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  378
Joined  2010-04-09

My vote would be that yes, just a couple of minutes too long.  I’ve found that the cupcakes from RHC are done at the minimum times in my oven, too.  Haven’t tried the downy yellow in cupcake form, but the white velvet ones are my favorite!!

Posted: 07 June 2011 10:21 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4781
Joined  2008-04-16

I’ve made this recipe often for cupcakes, it’s the sour cream butter cake from the Cake Bible, and it’s wonderful.  I have always used the all-yolk version, though, not the whole egg version.  The main difference is that the whole egg version has a little extra structure for rounded tops. 

I would suspect the dryness came from either overbaking, or a combination of the whole eggs and slight overbaking.  I bake this cake to an internal temp of 190F.  Cupcakes are small and have a lot of surface area, they dry out more quickly either from overbaking or from storing than larger cakes.  If you baked them a day ahead, that might have also contributed to dryness.

Your raspberry syrup solution looks great, as do the cupcakes!

Signature 

B&T Blog:  Cultured Butter Recipe

Posted: 07 June 2011 12:06 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3147
Joined  2010-04-25

Oh, if this is the Sour Cream Butter Cake, then it’s the same cake used for the Apple Upside Down Cake (RHC), the Sour Cream Coffee Cake (TCB p 90) and the Pineapple Upside Down Cake (TCB p 92).  It’s awesome!!  I recently made the Apple Upside Down Cake (http://www.realbakingwithrose.com/index_ee.php/forums/viewthread/3528/) and was absolutely thrilled with the cake part itself.  If you want doming, but want to use all yolks, let your filled cupcake pans sit out for about 30-50 minutes before baking—they will expel some leavening and dome nicely.

Posted: 07 June 2011 03:02 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1352
Joined  2008-09-27
Julie - 07 June 2011 01:21 PM

Cupcakes are small and have a lot of surface area, they dry out more quickly either from overbaking or from storing than larger cakes.

I wonder what effect steaming the oven might have, similar to what we do for bread?  I know that it would reduce the evaporation from the cakes, but I don’t know if the effect would be detectable.

Signature 

If error is corrected whenever it is recognized as such, the path of error is the path of truth.

—Hans Reichenbach

Posted: 09 June 2011 07:56 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
RankRankRank
Joined  2011-06-06

Thanks Julie, I may have to test the all yolk version.  Serves me right for not testing this recipe! bah. 

Anne, I’ll have to try that recipe, and maybe that white velvet cake too.

Posted: 26 June 2011 10:53 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  7
Joined  2011-06-26

I do a lot of cupcakes and I am known for a very moist cake.  I bake all my cupcake and cakes at 325 never higher.  this seems to help keep my cakes moist.  They sound as if they were a little over baked and for a cupcake there is no turning back.  Just me and I have not used any receipts from this site I only do Oil based cakes. I personally have never had luck with any butter cakes.  would maybe turn down the oven a bit and take 2 mins off your baking time. Your piping is devine!

Signature 

Happy People Eat Cake