Help on buying a hand mixer.
Posted: 08 June 2011 05:06 AM   [ Ignore ]
Rank
Total Posts:  14
Joined  2011-06-04

Hi everyone, I am planning on buying a new hand mixer. I already have a stand mixer (Cuisinart 5.5 quart), but there’s no way I will be bringing that with me to college this fall, which is why I am getting a new hand mixer. I have a kitchenaid 5 speed hand mixer, it works well, but I would like to upgrade to one with more feature.

Here’s what I’ve decided on: Kitchenaid 9 speed hand mixer or Cuisinart 9 speed hand mixer. Both have digital control and the same selection of speeds, and the same attachments. What I am worried about is the noise. My cuisinart stand mixer is pretty noise, especially on high, but I can always leave the room when it’s running full blast. I can’t do that with a hand mixer, so noise is the deciding factor here.

So, does anyone used/own either one of these hand mixer, if so, can you share with me your thoughts about them, especially the noise it makes on high speed?

Thanks in advance for anyone whom reply.

David.

Posted: 08 June 2011 08:17 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3147
Joined  2010-04-25

I can’t answer your actual questions, but, having dealt with customer service with both KA and Cuisinart, KA’s if far, far superior.  At the same time, I have lots of Cuisinart appliances, and they always hold up well.  Good luck!  I am glad to see that you will be eating something better the Ramen noodles and canned Del Monte zucchini tomatoes I lived on then!!

Posted: 08 June 2011 09:01 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4783
Joined  2008-04-16

Depending on the College, there may be times you could access the professional kitchens there smile  I live in a College town and it is done here, with proper arrangements.

Or once you get past your first year, there may be housing options that include a student kitchen. 

As for the mixer, in general more power means more noise, but to really compare you might have to visit a store to see them in person, or at least email the companies to get decibel ratings.  I think noise goes up quickly with relatively small increases in decibles. 

Congratulations on your graduation, and have a great time in College.  Your baking skills will be much appreciated there! smile

Signature 

B&T Blog:  Cultured Butter Recipe

Posted: 08 June 2011 10:22 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1352
Joined  2008-09-27

Consumer Reports rates the KitchenAid Architect Series KHM920A the best by far.  This appears to be it:

http://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/product.asp?SKU=16767352

And the KitchenAid mixer gets a half-red circle on noise, which is very good, but the Cuisinart gets a half black circle, which is very bad.

Signature 

If error is corrected whenever it is recognized as such, the path of error is the path of truth.

—Hans Reichenbach