Coconut Cupcakes?
Posted: 09 June 2011 01:10 AM   [ Ignore ]
Rank
Total Posts:  22
Joined  2011-05-31

Hi all! I’m new to this forum and have only owned Rose’s cake books for a few weeks now so I’m only starting to read and bake my way through them… but I’m baking a dessert spread for an all-white themed birthday party next weekend and would like to include either the Heavenly Coconut Seduction Cake or the Southern (Manhattan) Coconut Cake. However, I’d like to make cupcakes instead of a cake. Has anyone made either of these cakes in cupcake form? If so, how did they turn out (i.e. any recipe adjustments necessary)? I’m not sure I’ll have time to try it out before the party, so any help you have would be so appreciated! I’m also going to attempt the Lemon Meringue cake which looks a little daunting…. that one I’ll have to try this weekend and see how it goes.

Thanks!! smile

Posted: 09 June 2011 08:44 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3128
Joined  2010-04-25

Jenn, our cupcake queen, has.  Scope these:

Scope this:  http://knittybaker.blogspot.com/2011/04/southern-manhattan-coconut-cake-two.html
http://knittybaker.blogspot.com/2011/02/hcb-free-choice-heavenly-coconut.html

Jenn will no doubt buzz by with extra good info for you!

Good luck! Sounds like fun!

—ak

Posted: 09 June 2011 10:08 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4741
Joined  2008-04-16

For what it’s worth, I think the frosting with the coconut seduction cake is faster and easier to make, though I must say if you have the time and inclination, the creme anglaise-based buttercream is my favorite of all the buttercreams.

Looking forward to seeing your cupcakes!

Signature 

B&T Blog:  Ultimate Cinnamon Rolls

Posted: 09 June 2011 12:47 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1088
Joined  2009-05-26

Hi Rosie,
I’ve made both cakes into cupcakes. I didn’t do any adjustments and they turn out fine. Some things to consider:
- If the recipe mention specifically how full the pan should be then you should follow the same for the cupcake (if the pan should be 2/3 full the cupcake should be 2/3 full). That being said, I usually get by with about 40-45 gram of batter in each cupcake.
- Cupcake bake much faster, so check after 15 minutes (sometimes they are done that fast).
- It takes a bit longer to make cupcake because if you want to weigh each cavity it just takes time. I usually use a spatula to spoon the batter into the cupcake and then use a small offset to smooth things out.
- For cooling, take the cupcake out of the pan when they’re done, don’t leave them in the pan (otherwise they will continue baking and they’ll get too done/dry out).

I agree with Julie that the coconut seduction cake frosting is easier. It’s lighter than the creme-anglaise based, so it depends on what you’re looking for.

Hope this helps! I’m looking forward on seeing the cupcakes smile.

Signature 

http://www.knittybaker.blogspot.com/

Posted: 09 June 2011 04:30 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Rank
Joined  2011-05-31

Thank you all so much for the input! Jenn~ your cupcakes (and cake) look so perfect! I’d like to try the SMB, especially after Julie’s review, but I was hoping to pipe on the buttercream for a pretty presentation (not sure yet). I’m guessing after reading a lot of comments about this buttercream and the addition of the coconut in it, that it’s not really pipable? Or am I wrong (I hope!)? I’m wondering if perhaps the Coconut Whipped Cream topping would be a better choice for that purpose?

I hope I can find all the ingredients I need because I just can’t wait to taste this cake!!

Posted: 09 June 2011 09:24 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  105
Joined  2010-12-29

I made the manhattan coconut cake with the coconut SMB as cupcakes and they turned out delicious!!  I piped on the icing in a pretty swirl and they held their shape.  I had people talking for weeks about the coconut SMB.

Posted: 09 June 2011 10:20 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Rank
Joined  2011-05-31

Oh awesome!! Thanks so much moderncake! I was thinking of just doing the manhattan as a cake and doing something simpler as cupcakes but I’m still undecided… I have a week to figure it out but I’m so glad to hear that the coconut SMB pipes well and that they were such a success for you!

Posted: 09 June 2011 11:02 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2010-04-25

Since you have a whole week, you can always make the SMBC and toss it in the freezer.  Then it’s ready when you need it!  Put it in the fridge two days ahead, and then give it a good 6 hours to come to room temp before using.  Mix it lightly before using, also—but be sure there are NO cold spots and it’s all room temp, or it will separate, and you will be VERY SORRY if it does!!!!!!!  If it’s room temp, however, you will be so pleased you got it done ahead of time and can now just frost freely in fabulous fashion!

Posted: 10 June 2011 11:15 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4741
Joined  2008-04-16
Anne in NC - 10 June 2011 02:02 AM

Mix it lightly before using

Silk Meringue bc absolutely needs thorough whisking or beating to restore the texture after storing.

but be sure there are NO cold spots and it’s all room temp, or it will separate, and you will be VERY SORRY if it does!!!!!!!

If this happens, just warm the bc so that it is all 70F, and re-beat.  Even buttercream that has separated badly can usually be saved.

Signature 

B&T Blog:  Ultimate Cinnamon Rolls

Posted: 10 June 2011 01:31 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1088
Joined  2009-05-26

One thing I want to add about the coconut smbc is not to add the coconut flakes to the buttercream if you’re gonna pipe it. Otherwise they will get stuck in the piping tip and there’s no way you can pipe it.

Seems so obvious but I’ve made this mistake smile.

Signature 

http://www.knittybaker.blogspot.com/

Posted: 10 June 2011 02:00 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2010-04-25

Thanks, Julie!  I didn’t have to hardly stir mine, but I know we’ve had those different experiences.  Good to know about the rescue!

Posted: 10 June 2011 02:23 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
Rank
Joined  2011-05-31

You’re right Jenn, it does seem obvious, but I would’ve put in the coconut!! Lol.. amateur here smile I appreciate all of your suggestions!!

Thanks Anne and Julie—the more tips I get, the more difficult I think this SMB is really going to be! But it must be worth the effort so I’m definitely going to give it a try. So far no luck tracking down coconut extract but I’m still looking. And I don’t even know what CocoRibe is ... have you all used it or gone without?