Banana Refrigerator Cake - My first RHC cake!
Posted: 09 June 2011 01:27 AM   [ Ignore ]
Rank
Total Posts:  22
Joined  2011-05-31

I just purchased RHC over the weekend and Monday was my sister’s birthday. She requested banana cake so I made Banana Refrigerator Cake with Dreamy Creamy White Chocolate Frosting and it was AMAZING! The cake was so unbelievably moist! I decided to slice it in half and turn it into a layer cake and it worked out perfectly. I doubled the frosting recipe and had just the right amount—“dreamy” is right! This was the best frosting I ever had! I also put fresh sliced banana in between the layers and a few on top.

Everyone at the party raved about the cake and couldn’t believe how flavorful it was. I was crazy about it too but I’ll only admit here that I thought the lemon flavor in the cake was sliiiiiightly overwhelming—not sure if i used a little too much or if it’s just a matter of personal taste. Still an awesome cake!

Excited to share a pic… Can’t wait to make my next Rose cake smile

Image Attachments
P6067144a.jpg

Posted: 09 June 2011 09:18 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3166
Joined  2010-04-25

Congratulations, Rosie!!!  Beautiful, beautiful cake.  I love how you arranged the bananas on top!

When cakes involve lemon, it often works best to serve them the following day, as it gives the lemon time to both ‘diffuse’ through the cake and blend, making it more mellow. 

Looking forward to seeing your next cake!!! Looks like it will be coconut cupcakes and maybe the lemon meringue cake…...yum….......

Posted: 09 June 2011 10:12 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4791
Joined  2008-04-16

Yes, congratulations, it’s so beautiful and appealing!

Yes to what Anne said, and I’ve noticed with these banana cakes that in order to get the best flavor balance, you need bananas that are very, very, very ripe.

Signature 

Brød & Taylor Test Kitchen:  How to Make Sourdough More (or Less) Sour

Posted: 09 June 2011 04:34 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Rank
Joined  2011-05-31

Thank you both!!! That’s a great tip, Anne. I baked the cake only a few hours before it was eaten, so next time I’ll make it a day in advance. On to the coconut cupcakes! smile

Posted: 10 June 2011 10:33 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  223
Joined  2009-11-20

rosiecake ~ The two layers with the sliced bananas between and on top make this a terrific looking cake. This is one of my favorite cakes from RHC and now you have given us a new way to present it.
Thanks so much for sharing! smile

Posted: 10 June 2011 11:09 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  49
Joined  2011-03-16

Rosie, your cake is beautiful!  Good job on your first RHC cake!  What is next on the menu?

Posted: 10 June 2011 02:50 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Rank
Joined  2011-05-31

That’s so kind of you to say, darm456, thank you!!! smile

Funky5, thank you! I am dying to make the Torta de las Tres Leches because it looks so delicious. As does the Sticky Toffee “Pudding”. And I also want to make the Apple-Cinnamon Crumb Coffee Cake because I had a few minor problems with the CB version and I am a perfectionist so I need to make one that looks like the one in the book wink But no! I have to force myself to focus on the task at hand which is an array of all-white desserts for a party next weekend. I’ve gotten some great tips for making the Southern (Manhattan) Coconut Cake with SMB so that will definitely be on the menu - I just haven’t decided on whether it will be a cake or cupcakes. As for my second cake for the party (might make 3, not sure yet), I am SO torn!!! Lemon Meringue cake? White Velvet cake with Vanilla Mouselline? I’m trying to find something that won’t be too difficult since I’m making multiple cakes but I still want them to be super-delicious (of course!). I need to make up my mind soon… suggestions are always welcome! wink

Posted: 10 June 2011 02:55 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Rank
Joined  2011-05-31
Julie - 09 June 2011 01:12 PM

I’ve noticed with these banana cakes that in order to get the best flavor balance, you need bananas that are very, very, very ripe.

Julie~ how ripe are we talking here? I usually wait until they’re covered in brown dots but I don’t use the parts of the banana itself that have actually turned brown.

Posted: 03 August 2011 04:21 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  3
Joined  2011-08-03

I am a newby here as well, and i just love this forum.
I made the banana refrigerator cake also and it is so moist and yummie.
It is my go to banana cake from now on.

But i was just wondering… is it possible to double or triple this recipe, i would like to try to make a 12 inch cake with this recipe.

Thank you, best regards,

Astrid1428

Posted: 07 August 2011 09:01 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4791
Joined  2008-04-16

Check the wedding cake section of Rose’s Heavenly Cakes, there is a banana cake there that may help you make adjustments for a larger diameter pan.

Signature 

Brød & Taylor Test Kitchen:  How to Make Sourdough More (or Less) Sour

Posted: 07 August 2011 05:23 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1554
Joined  2011-02-17

That is a beautiful presentation! I would never have thought of that. Thank you!!

Posted: 10 August 2011 02:51 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  96
Joined  2010-08-01

That’s a lovely cake! One of my favorites….love to see a cut slice of the cake sometime.