My final version of gluten-free genoise cake
Posted: 09 June 2011 10:59 PM   [ Ignore ]
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  62
Joined  2010-01-24

After doing some experiments with organic APF, potato starch, corn starch, and white rice flour, finally i did it.
Covered with whipcream, the cake was moist, no after state at all. However, I will use less syrup compare to the amount from TCB because the cake was a little bit soggy a few days later.
My next experiment will be baking some gluten-free cakes that I can carve to make 3D cakes.

Image Attachments
GlutenFreecake2.png

Posted: 09 June 2011 11:05 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3148
Joined  2010-04-25

Bean!  You are a gluten-free marvel.  That is just beautiful.  Truly lovely. 

And I’ll tell you what, that cake looks like it’s pretty 3D in real life to me.  I’d love a 3D piece of it on the en dof a 3D fork right now, I can tell you!!  (Just kidding, I know what you mean….)

Posted: 10 June 2011 11:19 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4783
Joined  2008-04-16

Nice job.  smile Which flour/starch did you finally use?  And what did you syrup and frost it with?

Signature 

B&T Blog:  Cultured Butter Recipe

Posted: 10 June 2011 03:39 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
RankRankRank
Joined  2010-01-24

Thanks Anne. You and others on this forum help me a lot when I make cakes with Rose’s books. I love all her cakes.

Hi Julie, I used white rice flour with corn starch. I tried potato starch at first time, but the cake was not risen nicely. Maybe, my potato starch was old.
Also, thank you for your tip about using agar with heavy cream. I used that to make whip cream for frosting.
I followed the instruction on pay 502 of TCB to syrup the cake,  but next time I will use less syrup.

Posted: 11 June 2011 04:18 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  84
Joined  2011-06-06

Hi Bean!

Your cake looks fabulous!  I just wanted to ask you if you have any suggestions on gluten-free baking books, or online sources?  I have a kid’s party coming up and, although I’ve done gluten free before, I’d love some more resources!

Posted: 11 June 2011 07:16 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
RankRankRank
Joined  2010-01-24

Hi DouxHouse,
Sorry that I don’t have any Gluten-free cooking books to recommended to you.
You can read more info from these websites

http://www.tarteletteblog.com/2009/02/recipe-index.html

http://glutenfreegirl.com/recipes/

Enjoy baking