Cherry Rhubarb Lattice Pie
Posted: 13 June 2011 12:50 PM   [ Ignore ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1088
Joined  2009-05-26

Latest creation from P&PB;. I’ve never made pie with rhubarb before and it’s so good! The tartness of rhubarb nicely balanced cherries. Hubby said it’s one of the best (right up there with the apple pie and pecan pie).

One side of the pie sank while baking, I don’t know why - maybe I roll the crust too thin (would explain why I got some leftover crust).

I got more pictures on my blog (step by step photos of the pie making, photos of cherries) if anyone wants to see.

Image Attachments
pie.jpgCherry Rhubarb Pie1.jpgSliced pie.jpg
 Signature 

http://www.knittybaker.blogspot.com/

Posted: 13 June 2011 03:31 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3171
Joined  2010-04-25

It is such a beautiful pie, Jenn!! So happy to see it again today!  : )

The crust is just lovely,and it’s fun to see it before baking and after.  And your pics are better and better all the time.  Love the fork, the cloth, and the ‘random’ cherries!!!  And the incredibly inviting slice!!!

Posted: 13 June 2011 04:12 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  632
Joined  2008-01-24

My two favorite fillings. Delightful Jenn.

Signature 

“This pizza is a symphony of flavors”

Posted: 13 June 2011 05:14 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  923
Joined  2009-05-25

Ummmmmmm.  I LOVE rhubarb and I LOVE cherries!  I have 2 sour cherry trees that may produce fruit this year and a recently planted rhubarb.  I am going to have to make this.  Your photos and presentation are awesome, Jenn—care to share any photo staging details??  I always have trouble getting enough (good) light to avoid using flash. 

I must admit, I’m not a huge fan of strawberry rhubarb—I think this IS the answer though.  I can just imagine the tangy tartness from the cherries mingling with the rhubarb.  Another decadent creation!

Posted: 13 June 2011 09:05 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4807
Joined  2008-04-16

Just gorgeous, Jenn!  Love your leaves, the fruit, lattice- everything.  My favorite pic is the one of the slice smile

Must go make a pie…

Signature 

Brød & Taylor Test Kitchen:  Greek-style yogurt recipe

Posted: 13 June 2011 10:18 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  939
Joined  2009-09-16

Your pie looks amazing Jenn.  I personally think that the leaf cutouts around the edges of the pie make it look so elegant.  Rhubarb brings back memories of my grandmother down east.  She always had rhubarb growing in her garden and always made strawberry rhubarb cobbler.  I like the combination of the rhubarb and cherries though.

Posted: 14 June 2011 08:53 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1031
Joined  2007-11-21

I looks beautiful.  I have never tried rhubarb.  to be honest, I’m a tiny bit afraid of it LOL.  I think I am going to finally have to give in and try it (My other half LOVES rhubarb.)

Posted: 14 June 2011 10:24 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4807
Joined  2008-04-16

Bill, I think it’s so funny that your other half loves rhubarb (very sharp, intense flavor), but doesn’t like dark chocolate or lemon, is that right?  I guess there’s no accounting for taste smile

Signature 

Brød & Taylor Test Kitchen:  Greek-style yogurt recipe

Posted: 14 June 2011 11:06 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1031
Joined  2007-11-21

OMG…Julie!  How on earth did you rememer that?  Yes, that’s correct.  No dark chocolate, no lemon…but Rhubarb?  Yep.  I think that comes up from growing up in Alabama

Posted: 14 June 2011 11:12 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1569
Joined  2011-02-17

Awesome achievement Jenn. Beautiful!

Posted: 14 June 2011 01:15 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-05-26

Thanks everyone for your wonderful comments!

Anne - the fork is a new purchase. 10 cents from Goodwill. I like going now to find props for photography. The cloth is a dishtowel smile.

Julie - what pie are you making next? cheese For my next pie project, I’m interested in the blueberry lemon curd. I think this is one of your favorites right?

Sherrie - this is the 1st time anyone ask me tips on photography!!! I feel so honored! cheese
I love to share! Though I am no expert by any means. I’m still learning (and loving every minute of it). For good light, you have to use natural light. If there’s a window in your house that got a good light, take photo there. Or if you have a shaded area on the porch it works too. By good light I don’t necessarily mean direct sunlight, indirect works best because direct sunlight looks harsh on food. And you need to turn off flash. Flash also looks harsh on food.

Here’s a good tutorial to get you started. I love this one because the guy shows you how he does it by picture examples: http://taylortakesataste.com/food-photography-lighting-tips/

My photo set up for the pie is pretty much the same as his. I have it near the window, with a foam board ($1 from Michaels) behind the pie to bounce the light off.

If the window you are using has strong direct sunlight, you can use a bed sheet or curtain to diffuse the light (like what he does in his tutorial). Or a cheapo way to do it is to tape wax paper on the window. It works smile.

I hope this is not too confusing. I had intended to write a shorter response on the photography, but oh well, it didn’t happen. Let me know if you have more questions or want more resources.

Signature 

Posted: 14 June 2011 06:07 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-05-26

Bill, I was afraid of rhubarb too. That’s why it takes me this long to use it. I’d say go for it!

And… in case you need more encouragement, check out this post from The Pioneer Woman (Ree Drummond), she has loads of recipes and mouth-watering photos of rhubarb recipes (including rhubarb margaritas smile).
http://tastykitchen.com/blog/2011/06/the-theme-is-rhubarb/

Signature 

Posted: 14 June 2011 10:17 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  146
Joined  2010-03-30

Gorgeous! I love fruit pies!

‹‹ Cordon Rose Cheesecake      Hamburger Buns ››