Country Buttermilk Cake
Posted: 16 June 2011 11:48 AM   [ Ignore ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1569
Joined  2011-02-17

I made this cake on Anne’s suggestion. It is in TCB and I never noticed it was there-big mistake.  This cake is delicious. It is very easy to make. I frosted with a cream cheese/sour cream frosting (Anne’s recipe) and we loved it. The crumb was like velvet.  This is another of Rose’s cakes to be added to my list of go-to recipes.

Image Attachments
IMG_5338.jpgIMG_5339.jpg

Posted: 16 June 2011 02:01 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  632
Joined  2008-01-24

Mmm! Buttermilk, my favorite. I bet it would be delicious with some fresh seasonal fruit.

Signature 

“This pizza is a symphony of flavors”

Posted: 16 June 2011 02:25 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2011-02-17

I bet it would Gene. This cake is similar to the All Occasion Golden Downy cake except that it uses buttermilk in place of the whole milk. This cake has a multitude of possibilities and it is so easy and fast to make.

Posted: 16 June 2011 09:10 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4807
Joined  2008-04-16

Looks great, FG!  When I made this I paired it with lemon neoclassic bc and it was to die for.  Seeing yours makes me want to make it again soon.

Signature 

Brød & Taylor Test Kitchen:  Greek-style yogurt recipe

Posted: 16 June 2011 09:23 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3171
Joined  2010-04-25

What a perfect layer, FG! So pretty! The crumb looks perfect, too!  I think you described the texture - “like velvet” - perfectly!!!  Great word find!!  And thank YOU for recommending the Apple Upside Down Cake to me!!

Posted: 17 June 2011 04:12 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  378
Joined  2010-04-09

I was going to make the Golden Butter Cream cake, but after reading this thread, I might have to go buy some buttermilk and make this one instead!!

Posted: 17 June 2011 10:39 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2011-02-17

Yay! Let us know how you like it.  I always have buttermilk in the house. I use it in my Ranch salad dressing. This cake is a good way to use it up before it spoils.

Posted: 17 June 2011 10:40 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2011-02-17
Anne in NC - 17 June 2011 12:23 AM

What a perfect layer, FG! So pretty! The crumb looks perfect, too!  I think you described the texture - “like velvet” - perfectly!!!  Great word find!!  And thank YOU for recommending the Apple Upside Down Cake to me!!

Thank you! and thank you for turing me onto this cake. I don’t think I would have ever noticed it without you pointing it out

Posted: 18 June 2011 02:13 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  24
Joined  2007-12-20

This cake has been my choice for strawberry season since TCB first came out.  Once I made four of them, sliced two flats of berries, and held my ice cream scoop at the ready as my military history group charged through for dessert.  Especially the WWII vets came back for more cake, claiming it to be the best cake they’d ever eaten.  While I don’t really believe that, I do believe that the country buttermilk cake tastes more like the flavorful cakes their mothers and wives baked in the old days than the box cakes many of them are subjected to today.  What a great way to honor these great men, with great cake!