Chocolate Haystacks?
Posted: 24 June 2011 03:11 PM   [ Ignore ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  905
Joined  2009-05-25

It’s been ages since I’ve made these but in hot weather and no a/c, I was looking for a sweet no bake recipe.  Of course, all of the recipes I could find indicate boil for 2 min, etc.  Which is soooo ambiguous.  Does anyone know the correct temp?  Btw, the recipe is basically 1/2 cup butter (i’m using coconut oil), 1/2 cup milk (almond milk), and2 cups sugar + a host of other ingredients added after mixture has boiled for said time.  I took it to 234F, but they ended up crystally (sugar crystallization)—what’s the goal?  Boil off all of the water (212F temp.)?  Then add the dry ingredients (oatmeal, coconut, etc).  Ideally they are soft, but hold together well.  Most recipes state anywhere from “bring to a full boil, to boil for 5 min.”—lots of variation!!  I may try another experiment, but just wondering if anyone has these figured out.

Posted: 24 June 2011 04:26 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  905
Joined  2009-05-25

I made these again—this time added cocoa to mixture that is boiled.  I boiled for 2 min. and watched the thermometer.  At 2 mins.  the temp. was holding around 223.5 F   (for probably 20 seconds prior)—some phase change that I’m not aware of???  Anyway, they are still somewhat gritty/crystally rather than gooey.  It is a bit humid here, but not jungle humid.  Still edible, but not perfection :(