What’s your favorite cake?
Posted: 27 June 2011 04:52 PM   [ Ignore ]
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  84
Joined  2011-06-06

Hey everbody!

I was asked to make a cake for this Friday and I’d like your feedback on the cakes you’ve made from Rose’s books.  I haven’t had the opportunity to make every single one of them, and I’d really appreciate your input!

What are your absolute favorite cakes?  Preferably the ones that make your eyes roll into the back of your skull!

Posted: 27 June 2011 05:50 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1088
Joined  2009-05-26

Douxhouse, it depends on whether you prefer butter cakes vs. genoise or whether chocolate is preferred or other flavor. We prefer genoise type cakes so they make the top 2.

Here are my favorites:
Apple Caramel Charlotte
Saint Honore Trifle
Swedish Pear & Almond Cream Cake
Marionberry Shortcakes
Baby Lemon Cheesecakes

Signature 

http://www.knittybaker.blogspot.com/

Posted: 27 June 2011 06:42 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  223
Joined  2009-11-20

DouxHouse,
My favorite one that made my eyes roll into the back of my skull were the Chocolate Bulls Eyes Cakes. They have many steps to perfection!  But at the end of the day, those are the ones that I think of most fondly.
http://cakesbydar.blogspot.com/2010/10/roses-heavenly-cakes-chocolate-bulls.html

Posted: 27 June 2011 07:49 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  904
Joined  2009-05-25

Hmmmn….I love the Triple Chocolate Cake from TCB (it’s my avatar).  Also, the German Chocolate Cake (base—also used for deep choco passion wedding cake, baby grands, and ice cream sandwiches) is highly versatile, moist, and flavourful—could create something awesome with it.  And I love the Tweed Angel Cake with white chocolate whipped cream—one of my new faves.

Posted: 28 June 2011 07:20 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4791
Joined  2008-04-16

Wow, that’s tough. 

I think lemon chiffon might be my first choice if good berries are available: http://www.realbakingwithrose.com/index_ee.php/forums/viewthread/3208/#29795

Second place goes to almond coffee-caramel genoise:  http://www.realbakingwithrose.com/index_ee.php/forums/viewthread/1875/

Third place is bittersweet cocoa-almond genoise with dark mocha ganache:  http://www.realbakingwithrose.com/index_ee.php/forums/viewthread/3474/

Three-way tie for fourth amongst three strawberry cakes (and they’re in season now):  Savarin, St Honore Trifle, shortcake using golden butter cream cake, whipped cream, fresh strawberries and strawberry puree.

Report back and tell us what you pick! smile

Signature 

Brød & Taylor Test Kitchen:  How to Make Sourdough More (or Less) Sour

Posted: 28 June 2011 10:02 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1031
Joined  2007-11-21

I LOVE the all american chocolate butter cake, frosted with mousseline ( I add 8 ounces of semi sweet chocolate - melted and cooled- and 60 grams of cocoa powder to the mousseline “Bill’s Buttercream”)

I also LOVE the Genoise classique with Lemoncello in the syrup, filled with fresh lemon curd and frosted with lemon mouseline! 

these are my favorites (all from the cake bible)

Posted: 28 June 2011 12:07 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1554
Joined  2011-02-17

I haven’t made a cake I didn’t really like. I haven’t baked any of the more involved recipes yet so my choice would be the Country Buttermilk cake because it has a good flavor and is very versatile. I am very partial to the refrigerator banana cake and the lemon almond bundt cake is totally outrageous.

Posted: 28 June 2011 02:10 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  131
Joined  2010-02-24

I love the white velvet butter cake from TCB.  Every time I make it I get tons of compliments.

Posted: 28 June 2011 04:35 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  94
Joined  2009-09-04

woody’s lemon luxury cake. time consuming, but well worth it!

Posted: 29 June 2011 02:49 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  65
Joined  2009-09-13

Something simple and something medium-challenging:
the apple sour cream coffee cake for simple and perfect every time
and the chocolate feather bed

Posted: 29 June 2011 07:49 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  1
Joined  2011-06-29

I vote for Apple Caramel Charlotte!

mmmmm

Posted: 30 June 2011 03:40 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  84
Joined  2011-06-06

Wow!  I had no idea there would be such a mixed consensus!  I mean, I know everyone has their own taste preferences but sheesh!

Well, I suppose this just means I’ll have to bake all of these suggestions and see for myself. 

I appreciate all of your input!