Flag Cake!!!
Posted: 29 June 2011 11:32 AM   [ Ignore ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1094
Joined  2009-05-26

I saw this post last week at Glorious Treats and it made me want to make the cake. So I did and brought it to work. It was a hit. Everyone was amazed! They wanted to know how long it too me to make it and how I made it (some thought I use cake mold). Here are the components:
1 recipe White Velvet Butter Cake, baked in 2 7 inch pan. I split the batter equally by weight and color one of them blue.
2/3 recipe Red Velvet Butter Cake, baked in 1 7 inch pan and 1 4 inch pan. For the 7 inch pan, I weigh the batter to be same weight as the white velvet cake.
Frosting is 3x recipe the Dreamy Creamy White Chocolate Frosting (the one for the Red Velvet cake), but I opted out of white chocolate and used about 1 1/2 to 2 cups of powdered sugar. I started with 1 cup first and add more until it’s sweet enough.

All recipes from RHC.

To compose, I torte the white and red velvet cake. Then cut one layer of the white velvet into a 4 inch cake (I used my cake pan as a guide and serrated knife). The 4 inch red velvet I torte as well. Then I make a 4 inch hole inside the blue white velvet (this one is not torted). As you can see from the picture of the slice cake, the 4 inch white velvet and 4 inch red velvet went inside the hole of the blue velvet.

I almost had enough frosting but not enough for the piping decoration. That is done with my practice buttercream, unfortunately, which is mostly shortening and margarine. No one noticed though as the other flavors stand out more and I think by the time people get to the piping decoration they were full and those weren’t eaten.

The White Velvet came out beautifully, nice crust and everything. The red velvet cake, the 7 inch one, was really crumbly to the point that it didn’t develop the crust on the sides, making it really hard to frost!!! Not helping that I don’t have enough cream cheese frosting so I couldn’t do proper crumb coat. I ended up having some red cake crumb in the frosting. It doesn’t matter though. As I made this on Sunday, on the same day I made the Red Fruit Shortcake, by the time I get to the decoration I just wanted to get it done. Still everyone was very impressed. The cake was almost gone in 1 hour.

Image Attachments
Velvet Cakes small.jpgFlag Cake small.jpgFlag Cake interior.jpgFlag Cake slice.jpg
 Signature 

http://www.knittybaker.blogspot.com/

Posted: 29 June 2011 02:20 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  25
Joined  2011-04-18

Jenn,

Oh my goodness that is so impressive! What a cool cake!!!! Are you going to do a post on this one?

Signature 

http://www.thesugarwaltz.blogspot.com

Posted: 29 June 2011 03:12 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4839
Joined  2008-04-16

Wow, that’s a lot of baking for one weekend!  Love the flag cake, so cute.  Pretty piping, too.

Signature 

Brød & Taylor Test Kitchen:  Peanut Butter Cups, All Grown Up

Posted: 29 June 2011 04:50 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-05-26

Jane, I wasn’t planning to post on the blog, but maybe I should. Will work on it for tomorrow smile.

Julie - 29 June 2011 06:12 PM

Wow, that’s a lot of baking for one weekend!

Julie, it’s baking frenzy weekend for me again hehe. I always seem to get myself in trouble that way - that is wanting to bake too many things. But it’s not necessarily a bad thing cheese.

Signature 

Posted: 29 June 2011 05:47 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  146
Joined  2010-03-30

How fun is that??!!!  Very cool!

Posted: 30 June 2011 07:36 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3171
Joined  2010-04-25

Hey, Jenn!! The cake came out really great!  I just love the pic of the colored layers, especially.  I’m really glad you got to get a pic of the inside and the slice, too!

Posted: 30 June 2011 11:50 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2010-03-30

I’m wondering if the blue cake can be made with the red velvet cake recipe but substituting blue food color for red?  I’m dying to try this cake… wish I had 4th plans in place!

Posted: 30 June 2011 12:22 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-05-26

BakerJD, I’m sure you can sub the red with the blue. It might throw people off though so it depends on who you are serving it too.

The whole thing took me about 3 hours, so not too bad. Definitely doable! I’d say go for it!!!

Signature 

Posted: 30 June 2011 03:30 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2010-03-30

I don’t think the red velvet has much in the way of a distinctive taste to classify it as chocolate, vanilla, or anything in particularly recognizable, which is why I thought it might also work in another color.  This looks like it would also make an amazing ice cream cake too.  Maybe one layer of vanilla ice cream?

Posted: 30 June 2011 07:14 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1652
Joined  2011-02-17

Jenn, you are amazing! I love it!

Posted: 01 July 2011 09:22 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1031
Joined  2007-11-21

Looks great!  I have a friend who always uses blue food coloring for “red” velvet cake.  he just likes it that way…LOL
thanks for posting.  Love the flag cake

Posted: 01 July 2011 04:57 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  939
Joined  2009-09-16

WOW!!!! Such beautiful bright colors.  You not only created a cake, but a piece of art!!  What a wonderful treat to celebrate the fourth of July.

‹‹ Genoise-Sugar Free      Brioche Three Ways ››