3-D cake classes
Posted: 04 July 2011 11:41 AM   [ Ignore ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  37
Joined  2011-05-04

Hi

I was wondering if anyone could tell me of a place where I could learn how to make 3-D novelty cakes covered in fondant.  Is there a certain instructor who is well-known for her work, or is there a certain institute?  I cant take an entire course as my kid keeps me busy, but a class or two from an expert would be nice.  I like making birthday and wedding cakes. Thanks

Posted: 05 July 2011 11:33 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  62
Joined  2010-01-24

You can check out her web site. Buy some of her books and practice.
http://www.debbiebrownscakes.co.uk/index.php

Posted: 06 July 2011 03:10 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRank
Joined  2011-05-04

Thanks!  I just visited her websites. Now I’ll try to attend some of her classes.

Posted: 06 July 2011 02:16 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  131
Joined  2010-02-24

If you are in the NYC area you can take 3d fondant cake classes with Collette Peters, Janet Ben-Ami and Irene at Sweet Irene’s in Brooklyn.  Also look at Michelle Bommarito’s web site.  She travels around and teaches her classes.

Posted: 06 July 2011 11:25 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
RankRank
Joined  2011-05-04

Thanks Kathy1.  Just checked them out.  I didnt know about any of these cake decorators except Collette Peters.  I really liked Irene and Michelle Bommarito.  I am going to try to take classes with them too. Thanks again.

Posted: 19 July 2011 09:20 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  610
Joined  2007-11-27

The master for sculpted and carved cakes is Mike McCarey of Mike’s Amazing Cakes.  I took a class from him a few years ago, and he’s terrific!

Also, for 3D figures, you can buy pre-made forms from Cal-Java/Sweet Inspirations; they’re called Caddy Whompus and they’re made by Bronwen Webber of Frosted Art in Texas.  Cal-Java also offers classes several times a year in their facility in California with guest instructors.

Signature 

I Dream of Jeanne Cakes selected by Brides Magazine as one of their 100 Favorite Bakers (2013)

Posted: 22 July 2011 04:02 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
RankRank
Joined  2011-05-04

Thanks Jeanne! I am really impressed with Mike McCarey’s cakes, and it’s good to hear from someone who has taken his class.  I guess that means he is a good teacher too.  I am planning to take a class with him too.  I’ll check out Cal-Java as well and let you know.