Two Questions Re: Thermapen and Lehman’s Best Food Mill
Posted: 06 July 2011 03:43 PM   [ Ignore ]
Rank
Total Posts:  6
Joined  2011-06-28

Thermapen

Last night I tried to make half a recipe of Praline Silk Meringue Buttercream. I used my smallest pan to cook the syrup, but overcooked the first batch because the instant read CND thermometer I was using doesn’t seem to give an accurate temperature reading unless the syrup is about an inch deep. I’ve encountered this problem before when making small test batchs of recipes. I’m wondering is the Thermapen would be a solution to this problem. Does anyone know how deeply the Thermapen needs to be submerged into syrup (or other liquid) to get an accurate reading? I’m reluctant to purchase so expensive a thermometer without knowing in advance if it will solve the “small batch” problem.

Lehman’s Best Food Mill

Raspberry season is upon us and I love Rose’s raspberry conserve recipe, but I loath having to push the raspberries through a mesh sieve to remove the seeds. In RHC Rose recommends the Lehman’s Best Food Mill for seed removal. Currently, there is no product by that name on the Lehman web site. The site does show a product called the “Roma Food Mill.” Does anyone know if the “Roma” is the same product, by another name, as the “Best” food mill Rose recommends?

Many Thanks,

MarieG

Posted: 07 July 2011 08:09 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  6
Joined  2011-06-28

Thanks for the fantastic advise! I can’t figure out how to do multiple quotes, to thank you individually.

I’ve been lusting after the Thermapen - and now I have my excuse. I’ll just have to protect it from kidnapping by the more scientifically-minded members of the family.

Thanks for the heads-up on the Kitchenaid food mill attachment. The funny thing is that last night, as I was wiping off the kitchen counter, and cleaning around the Kitchenaid, in my not very large kitchen, I thought: “Why doesn’t this large, powerful, space-occupying beast do more than “mix.” I actually own the food grinder, so I just need to buy the fruit strainer attachment.

Julie - I’ve been wanting to make praline buttercream for ages, but couldn’t find praline paste locally. But my local cake supply store has started purchasing praline paste in bulk and repackaged it in pint containers. Praline paste is food for the Gods and makes an amazingly rich buttercream.

MarieG