Water content of Maple Syrup
Posted: 07 July 2011 01:54 AM   [ Ignore ]
Rank
Total Posts:  13
Joined  2011-05-31

I like the flavor and aroma Maple syrup (grade B) gives to my bread.  In the Bread Bible, the water content is not listed.  Does anyone know what it is?  Also, what would the adjustment be in a bread recipe (say, cracked wheat) when substiuting maple syrup for honey?

Posted: 07 July 2011 09:20 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4795
Joined  2008-04-16

The USDA nutrient database is great for checking things like water content:  http://www.nal.usda.gov/fnic/foodcomp/search/

As for the substitution for honey, just compare the water contents using the database and increase or decrease accordingly.  Roughly speaking, it looks as though maple syrup contains about double the water of honey.  However, I do wonder if maple syrup will have a beneficial effect on yeast acitivity the same way that honey does- you may want to increase rising times to account for that.

Signature 

Brød & Taylor Test Kitchen:  Greek-style yogurt recipe

Posted: 08 July 2011 02:47 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Rank
Joined  2011-05-31

According to the link you provided, Maple syrup (no grade was specified on the table I found) has approximately 6.48 grams of water per tablespoon.

Posted: 08 July 2011 03:46 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  632
Joined  2008-01-24

The other way to look at this is…
Maple syrup is primarily water and sugar. The handy Nutrition Facts label on my bottle of Grade B syrup says 1/4 cup contains 53g of sugar or 18% sugar. The remainder can be considered water.

Signature 

“This pizza is a symphony of flavors”

Posted: 09 July 2011 02:31 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Rank
Joined  2011-05-31

Good point, thanks! smile