strawberry cake
Posted: 07 July 2011 01:03 PM   [ Ignore ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  37
Joined  2011-05-04

Hi

I really want to make a strawberry cake where the cake has pureed strawberries inside it. Most of the recipes I can find require that you mix white cake mix with strawberry jello.  Can somebody tell me of a way that I can take the All-Occasion Downy Cake, White chocolate whisper cake, golden luxury butter cake or white velvet butter cake, and make some adjustments to it to create a strawberry cake from scratch?

Posted: 07 July 2011 03:40 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  9
Joined  2011-07-05

hey i found this online while looking for strawberry curd:  http://www.recipe.com/strawberry-birthday-cake/

Posted: 08 July 2011 02:01 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  69
Joined  2010-03-20

Hello.

I also have been looking for a strawberry cake recpie from scratch. I found a recipe online that I have not tried yet, but it looks like it just takes a from-scratch recipe for white cake (instead of the white cake mix) and then does the same thing, namely, add strawberry puree and strawberry gelatin. Here is the link:

http://sweetapolita.com/2011/01/neapolitan-5-layer-birthday-cake-with-strawberry-frosting/

Thank you Cakelady for that link that has a recipe for strawberry curd. It looks good. Did you try it already? If so, how did you like it? I’ve bookmarked it.

Posted: 08 July 2011 11:15 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Rank
Joined  2011-07-05

no i haven’t tried it. but my sister is requesting a strawberry cake for her birthday in august so this wknd i’ll do a small test pan.

Posted: 08 July 2011 11:40 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
RankRank
Joined  2011-05-04

Thanks cake lady for the recipe.  It sounds nice.  the strawberry curd sounds good, and so does the strawberry cream cheese frosting.  Please let me know the results after testing. 

Jose, I actually tried a recipe where you mix the white cake mix with strawberry jello.  The cake was alright but I didnt find it very flavorful.  It also had a bad after-taste which could be disguised by a nice frosting, but I would rather make the cake from scratch.  I think, to get good flavor in the cake, you need the mashed/pureed strawberries in the cake.  The trouble is I dont know how to adjust the rest of the recipe to make up for the increased liquid and acid in the cake. 

Also, have you noticed that all the strawberry cake recipes use egg-whites instead of whole eggs.  I think the cake would come out moister with whole eggs.

Posted: 08 July 2011 12:05 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
RankRank
Joined  2011-05-04

Jose, I just checked out your link.  The cake does have pureed strawberries in it, and whole eggs instead of egg whites.  I think it will be moist, dont know about flavor.  I think the recipe I tried had a bad after-taste because of the white cake mix.  this one wont have the after-taste.  I am debating whether or not I want to try this recipe. I’ll let you know if I do.  Thanks for sharing.

Posted: 21 July 2011 11:28 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Rank
Joined  2011-07-05

Hi singbaker - tried the cake and it was very moist, not too sweet. good recipe but i did not like the strawberry pieces in the cake.  i’ll probably blend it some more then strain. I’m using a banana flavored cheesecake filling with quartered pieces of strawberry for the middle layer and strawberry curd on the bottom and top layers. also, im using the CBC from CB for the middle layer and the strawberry cakes for the top and bottom. This is a teapot cake with fondant spout and handle and chocolate/coffee and tea cupcakes for cups. I’ll post a pic.

Posted: 22 July 2011 03:57 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
RankRank
Joined  2011-05-04

Hi cakelady,

Thanks for the update! Did you try the recipe that Jose had mentioned, because the one you had suggested didnt have any strawberries in it. Did the cake have a nice strong strawberry flavor in it?  The recipe I had tried smelt like strawberries but the flavor was weak.

Which cake is the CBC? Is it some chocolate cake from the The Cake Bible?  Really looking forward to the pictures…sounds like fun!

Posted: 25 July 2011 04:53 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
Rank
Joined  2011-07-05

hi singbaker - Did you already try other strawberry recipes?  cbc is the “country buttermilk cake”  i tried the cake Jose mentioned and it was okay but the next day the gelatin settled and the cake was gooey and flat. i have another recipe that calls for strawberry preserves. so i’ll try that one next.