Strawberry Cake
Posted: 09 July 2011 04:47 PM   [ Ignore ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3128
Joined  2010-04-25

This is the Buttermilk Country Cake with Strawberry Mousseline

The Buttermilk Country Cake is from TCB, but it’s also the cake used in the Cradle Cake in RHC.  I really love this cake.  This might be my second fave yellow cake (with the Golden Luxury Butter Cake holding first place)—it’s got a wonderful flavor and a nice, soft texture.  It doesn’t break and has a lovely crumb.  In the sliced pic, the cut on the left was made with a knife, while the right was made with the side of the cake server, which just goes to show you, a knife works better!!!

The Strawberry Mousseline is ‘regular’ mousseline with powdered freeze dried strawberries added.  The strawberry flavor was very intense and the color a beautiful dark pink.  On the whole, it tasted like a lightly sweetened strawberry butter.  Super fresh tasting and smelling!

Everyone really loved this cake.  It was cut at 9:30, and there was only a very teeny piece left by 1:00.  I ate it so I could clean up!  I got lots of nice emails in response.  This cake could easily take chocolate or white chocolate curls for that ‘extra something,’ but I went for the direct hit!

Image Attachments
IMG00056-20110708-0744.jpgIMG00060-20110708-1041.jpg

Posted: 09 July 2011 06:34 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  378
Joined  2010-04-09

What a beautiful, tall, cake!!  How many freeze dried strawberries did you have to use?  I sometimes buy them at Trader Joe’s but haven’t used them in any recipes.  I have some leftover buttermilk in the fridge, maybe I should make another of those buttermilk country cakes!!  BTW have you thought of any uses for your big brick of cocoa butter??

Posted: 10 July 2011 04:48 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4741
Joined  2008-04-16

Anne, your cake looks and sounds luscious!  And it’s so even and perfectly shaped.  Was it a 6”?

Glad you liked the buttermilk cake, I haven’t made it in a while but loved it when I did.

Signature 

B&T Blog:  Ultimate Cinnamon Rolls

Posted: 10 July 2011 12:42 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2010-04-25

Thanks, Loopy & Julie, for the compliments!!

Loop - I added 3 oz. of the strawberries to 5c. of mousseline.  Some freeze dried fruits come in plastic containers (Just Strawberries brand) and others in bags (Crispy Fruit and Today’s Fam brands)—I’ve found the bags to be crisper, and thus powder better, than the contianer ones.  As to the cocoa butter, probably doing white chocolate mousseline on the Chocolate Fudge Cake and adding cherries on top!!

Julie - Actually, this cake is two 9” layers.

Posted: 10 July 2011 09:56 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4741
Joined  2008-04-16
Anne in NC - 10 July 2011 03:42 PM

Actually, this cake is two 9” layers.

Wow, that’s a tall, beautiful cake! smile

Signature 

B&T Blog:  Ultimate Cinnamon Rolls

Posted: 11 July 2011 04:33 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1088
Joined  2009-05-26

Anne, it’s beautiful! Love how tall it is too, and how even the layers are. I want to stick my fingers in the mousseline. Can I? Can I? At least imaginitively as the cake is gone. Glad to hear it’s such a big hit at work. You’re gonna be famous now!

Signature 

http://www.knittybaker.blogspot.com/

Posted: 14 July 2011 08:44 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  939
Joined  2009-09-16

Wow Anne!! That is one impressive tall cake.  It must have been over 4” after it was iced.  What a great combination of flavors - buttermilk cake and strawberry mousseline.  Perfect for summer.

Do you prefer to use the freeze dried strawberries instead of the strawberry mousseline?  I have thought of buying some.

Posted: 14 July 2011 02:36 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1534
Joined  2011-02-17

Wow! Those layers are so tall. It looks scrumptious !!

Posted: 14 July 2011 06:07 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2010-04-25

Thank you, everyone!

Jenn—You cannot get enough mousseline on your fingers.  I recommend a large spoon!

Liza—This is strawberry mousseline, just made with freeze-dried strawberries in stead of fresh or strawberry butter.  I can’t compare, because I haven’t made any of the others, though.  You can get a nice, strong strawberry flavor, though, with the freeze-dried, so you can either use them exclusively or use them to ‘punch up’ regular if you’re using the mousseline with something that could overpower it (like chocolate).

FG and Julie - Thank you!!!

Posted: 18 July 2011 08:44 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1148
Joined  2009-11-24

Beautiful!! I will have try that Strawberry type you used

Signature 

So many recipes - so little time.

‹‹ Lemon Canadian Crown      Caramel buttercream ››