Yet another mixer question
Posted: 12 July 2011 01:10 AM   [ Ignore ]
Rank
Total Posts:  14
Joined  2011-07-12

Hello,

I am new here and have been enjoying the thoughtful and enthusiastic remarks in this forum.  Many thanks in advance for reading and possibly participating in yet another mixer discussion. 

At this time, and for the foreseeable future I cannot justify purchasing the larger KA stand mixer and am considering alternatives that are an improvement on my 1950/60ish Hamilton Beach mixer (which does sport a nice retro appearance but those beaters, well, no so much). 

A friend of mine mentioned that she has a 10 year old KA mixer that is the 4.5 quart size.  I would like to buy it from her knowing she has only used it once in a while.

Two questions: 

First, is this version of the KA suitable for use with the recipes in Rose’s books in terms of speeds specified, bowl size, etc.  If not optimum, is it an improvement over what I currently have (see above).

Second, I want to pay my friend a completely fair price, and if anything, err on the high side.  I’m guessing this is an older, lower end model but it does come with the whisk, paddle, and hook. 

All thoughts and opinions are greatly appreciated. 

And on a separate topic, Rose, I am a convert!!!!  I just love weighing these ingredients per the gentle suggestion in the new book.  The light has dawned!

Posted: 12 July 2011 04:03 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  378
Joined  2010-04-09

Hi there!  I think the mixer you’re describing work would just fine—you will LOVE making your first genoise with the KA!  Especially if your friend’s used it only occasionally, it should be like new.  I was actually trying to remember when I got my KA, and realized that it must be 6-7 years ago…wow, time flies!  The Artisan KAs used to be more expensive $350 or so…but I think now you can get a classic for just over $200.  I looked on craigslist and saw KA’s going anywhere from $80 to $225 for newer, heavy duty ones.  So I’m guessing here, but if you want to be very generous, offer $100…but probably $65 - $75 is fair market for one that age.  Do you know the wattage?

Posted: 12 July 2011 02:27 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  2
Joined  2010-08-19

I have a 4.5 qt KA mixer, and so far, all the cakes I have made have worked perfectly with the mixing times etc. that Rose specifies.  My mixer is about 20 years old, but I don’t think they have changed anything significantly (it still works just like new).  Good luck!

Posted: 12 July 2011 03:18 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  631
Joined  2008-01-24

I have been told that ‘newer’ KA have a plastic planetary gear. Whereas the older models used a metal gear. I am not sure what year that change occurred but I think it makes the older models more desirable.

Signature 

“This pizza is a symphony of flavors”

Posted: 15 July 2011 11:49 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1333
Joined  2008-09-27
Gene - 12 July 2011 06:18 PM

I have been told that ‘newer’ KA have a plastic planetary gear. Whereas the older models used a metal gear. I am not sure what year that change occurred but I think it makes the older models more desirable.

The newer bowl lift models have steel gear, or so they tell me.  I haven’t looked.

Signature 

If error is corrected whenever it is recognized as such, the path of error is the path of truth.

—Hans Reichenbach

Posted: 18 July 2011 08:54 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1153
Joined  2009-11-24

My 4.5 KA mixer is more than 10 years old…  I cannot see a difference in performance!!

Signature 

So many recipes - so little time.