A bagel question—butter or no and, if so, how much?
Posted: 15 July 2011 02:15 PM   [ Ignore ]
Rank
Total Posts:  2
Joined  2011-07-15

Hello.  I am making Rose’s bagels for the first time - currently, the sponge is covered by the flour mixture and chilling in the fridge for 24 hours.  But in anticipation of tomorrow, I have a question:  my edition of the Bread Bible talks about, in the mixing portion of the recipe, an optional inclusion of butter.  But nowhere is butter listed as an ingredient - potential or otherwise.  Between butter and no butter, I’ll take it—but does anyone know how much I should add? 

Many thanks in advance.

Posted: 15 July 2011 07:01 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  632
Joined  2008-01-24

My copy of BB shows 3 tablespoons for the full recipe. Have fun with the bagels.

Signature 

“This pizza is a symphony of flavors”

Posted: 18 July 2011 02:55 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  632
Joined  2008-01-24

How did those Bagels turn out?

Signature 

“This pizza is a symphony of flavors”

Posted: 18 July 2011 08:21 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4781
Joined  2008-04-16

Do tell, I’m interested to hear about them as well!

Matthew, who baked every recipe in the Bread Bible, says they are among his favorites.

Signature 

B&T Blog:  Cultured Butter Recipe

Posted: 25 July 2011 03:24 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  2
Joined  2011-07-15

Thanks for the response.  The bagels were delicious and turned out really well - I was a first time bagel-maker, and generally expect disappointment the first time.  Not here!  I used the butter; next time I think I’ll omit just for comparison purposes.  Also just made the bagels plain - no poppy seeds, no garlic, nothing—and am looking forward to mixing it up a bit.

Overall, highly recommended recipe.  As usual with RLB’s recipes, a long process, but justified by the results.