Chocolate Tomato Cake with Mystery Ganache
Posted: 18 July 2011 11:27 AM   [ Ignore ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1088
Joined  2009-05-26

I made this yesterday, my 80th cake from the book! I made 1/4 recipe yielding 8 cupcakes, 50 grams each. It turned out better than I had expected, but I really had no expectations on this cake. I couldn’t get over the whole “there’s tomato soup in the cake.” The ganache turned out really nice. Can’t taste the tomato at all and I love the consistency. It thickened up quite nicely and quickly but not too thick that it’s not spreadable.

Together with the cake it’s pretty good. It made the cake taste like a different chocolate cake. Makes you think there’s another flavor in there that you can’t quite put your finger on. I think I would have liked it much better if I didn’t know there’s tomato soup in there LOL. I’m not sure I will make this again but I would say that if you haven’t, and you’re curious about it, you should make it to find out. You can always make 1/4 recipe like I did.

I got my pictures on the blog but here’s a photo of the cupcake (topped with whipped cream and chocolate pearls from Whole Foods), and photo of ganache making.

Image Attachments
Chocolate Tomato Cake with Mystery Ganache1_s.jpgmaking ganache.jpgmystery ganache.jpg
 Signature 

http://www.knittybaker.blogspot.com/

Posted: 18 July 2011 12:40 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3128
Joined  2010-04-25

Thanks, Jenn, for ‘guinea-pigging’ this one—I know it’s a curiosity for many!!!  I love this pic, and I love the whippped cream on top with the little pearl!!

Posted: 18 July 2011 06:28 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1148
Joined  2009-11-24

80th cake Wow..  I need to get on with it.  Congratulations…

Signature 

So many recipes - so little time.

Posted: 18 July 2011 09:34 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4741
Joined  2008-04-16

They look just great, Jenn!  I keep thinking of this as being in the same category as, say, a pumpkin/chocolate cake, or zucchini/chocolate cake, but then I haven’t actually made and eaten it, perhaps I would have the same reaction as you!

Signature 

B&T Blog:  Ultimate Cinnamon Rolls

Posted: 19 July 2011 04:01 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  378
Joined  2010-04-09

Ohhhh, I just keep putting this cake in the same category as the “down home mayonnaise chocolate cake” from TCB…just can’t bring myself to do it!  Though the mayo cake should be easier to swallow since it is, after all, just eggs and oil…tomato soup, on the other hand…  But hats off to you for making it!!

Posted: 19 July 2011 09:06 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1031
Joined  2007-11-21

The cup cakes look great! ... but I am still having trouble getting past the soup.  I did make the down home mayonaise cake when I was craving chocolate cake and had no butter in the house.  It was fine. Not my favorite, but just fine.

Posted: 19 July 2011 12:36 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1088
Joined  2009-05-26

I need to revise my judgement on this cake. I had my 2nd cupcake yesterday and I have to say that it is growing on me!!! What did it is the texture of the cake. I love the texture. It’s fudgy, not too much, but fudgy enough. I enjoyed my piece much more than on the 1st day. Perhaps because I was also very hungry, cheese. But I am looking forward to my piece today for sure smile.

Anne, glad you liked the pics and the decoration.

Julie, I really really do not like pumpkin (pie or cake) so I am dreading the Pumpkin Cheesecake that I still have to make. Will probably bring it to work!

Signature 

http://www.knittybaker.blogspot.com/

Posted: 19 July 2011 04:48 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  65
Joined  2009-09-13

Dear Friends
you are giving the courage to just say: Yuck! It’s like the famous saurkraut chocolate cake which fascinates me but I can’t make myself actually bake it. I like the fact that tomato soup cake sounds awful but tastes better than just ok.

How funny.

I guess now someone will tell us how good olive oil cake is too. (It probably is!)
Shokat

Posted: 19 July 2011 05:09 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3128
Joined  2010-04-25

What did it is the texture of the cake. I love the texture.

Isn’t the texture just a real decision maker?  That’s one of the main reasons I love the Chestnut Sand cake so much.  Its texture is just unbelievably wonderful and unusual!

Thanks for the update!

Posted: 04 October 2011 08:12 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  8
Joined  2010-03-16

I made it for my friend (50th birthday), nobody knew there’s tomato soup in it. the taste is interesting, the structure quite dense. it is easy to decorate with Mystery Ganache.

Instead of using bought red buttercream, I made a simple homemade version with 60% confectioners sugar and 40% butter. I added red foodcolor but it is hard to make it red, because of the white sugar it turns out pink but it still looks pretty smile

Image Attachments
Foto141.jpgFoto142.jpg

Posted: 04 October 2011 09:21 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4741
Joined  2008-04-16

Looks great!:)

Signature 

B&T Blog:  Ultimate Cinnamon Rolls

‹‹ Apple-Cinnamon Crumb Cake      The UP! cake ››