Cheesecake Wedding Cake
Posted: 07 May 2008 12:23 PM   [ Ignore ]
Rank
Total Posts:  1
Joined  2008-05-07

Hi. I’m new to this, but I’m excited. My sister-in-law is getting married, and she wants cheesecake for a wedding cake. We found a picture of one that was beautiful. It was a 3 tier, and it looked like it was covered in fondant. She’s wanting me to make it and I’m looking for any suggestions on how I can decorate it so that it doesn’t look like a typical cheesecake. Any help that anyone can give me would be greatly appreciated.

Posted: 07 May 2008 12:40 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1074
Joined  2007-11-15

Get a copy of the Cake Bible and you will find full instructions for making one.

Posted: 07 May 2008 02:55 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  253
Joined  2007-11-29

mine was a cheesecake wedding cake and it launched my food business. I have made a number of others since. use rose’s white chocolate cream cheese frosting and decorate like any other cake. matthew already pointed out that the directions are in the cake bible. i also believe they are in martha stewart’s “weddings” do it that way and your sister’s guests will be begging for thirds.

skip the fondant, it adds nothing to the lovely surprise of a cheesecake wedding cake and won’t you be disappointed seeing it piled up on the sides of everyone’s plates?

jen

Signature 

http://www.ellavanilla.com

Posted: 07 May 2008 03:13 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1419
Joined  2007-11-15

Cheesecake is a lovely wedding cake surprise.  I would think if you apply fondant directly on the cheesecake, the wetness of the cheesecake will melt your fondant.

Signature 

http://myyellowkitchen.com/index-equipment-html/

Posted: 07 May 2008 11:08 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  324
Joined  2008-03-19

The recipe from “Cake Bible” is the only cheesecake recipe I use. It is absolutely delicious, and I get compliments every time I make it. You do not even have to make a bottom crust for it, so the layer will be a uniform color. After the cake has been in the refrigerator overnight, it is firm enough to turn out of the springform pan, and flip upright again onto a cake plate. The recipe turns out a picture perfect cheesecake with well-defined edges that doesn’t need to be covered with anything.

However, if you really want extra florishes, the white chocolate cream cheese buttercream, as Jen suggested, is the way to go. I have used it to pipe a border around the base and decoration on top. But after you see how elegantly the cheesecake turns out, you might just want to decorate with some fresh flowers and forget about the extra piping.

Good luck!

Posted: 08 May 2008 09:16 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  282
Joined  2007-11-16

If you want really smooth sides, lightly grease the sides of your pans and line with parchment paper strips.  The result is a beautiful smooth side.  And I agree with Christine, Rose’s cheesecake is the only one I make.

Also, check out cheesecake pans - they are just deep cake pans with removable bottoms.  Much easier to remove from the bottom of the pan than farting around with springform pans.  Here is a link where I bought mine.

MrsM

http://cooksdream.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=CTGY&Category_Code=BE

Posted: 09 May 2008 01:46 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  253
Joined  2007-11-29

oh yeah—do not use springform pans. there is no way to really keep out the water (tin foil just doesn’t do it) and you must have the water bath for a truly creamy cake from edge to edge. when the cake is ready to be unmolded I just spin it over a hot burner for a few second, shake it back and forth to be sure it is loose and flip it onto a waxed round, or saran wrapped covered plate. then simply flip it onto it’s final resting place!

jen

Signature 

http://www.ellavanilla.com

Posted: 09 May 2008 09:31 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2568
Joined  2007-11-15

Hi guys.  You know I’m a RLB fan, big time, but I’m not a fan of the water bath technique for cheesecake.  There are good non-water bath cheesecake recipes out there - I think it’s worth the time to find one.

Signature 

Come visit my blog at

http://butteryum.blogspot.com

Posted: 10 May 2008 10:30 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  591
Joined  2007-11-27

My cheesecake formula is 3# cream cheese, 7 eggs, 13.75 oz sugar, .25 oz cornstarch, 1TBL vanilla, 1 TBL lemon juice.  Mix as usual (cream cheese, then sugar/cornstarch, then eggs, vanilla, juice).  It bakes up firm enough to use under fondant; when I do it for restaurants in individual servings, I top it with a sweetened sour cream.

Rose used fondant for that bar mitzvah cheesecake (where she says “Plumes, I suppose.”  That line still cracks me up all these years later!!) and it was fine (keep in mind that this was her fondant).  Good luck!  Do a trial run and let us live vicariously!

Signature 

I Dream of Jeanne Cakes selected by Brides Magazine as one of their 100 Favorite Bakers (2013)

Posted: 05 June 2008 10:40 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  1
Joined  2008-06-05

along the same vein…

i’m making a 3 tier cheesecake wedding cake this month… i have my own recipe which is almost foolproof…
BUT i’ve never made a tiered cheesecake before…

is it best to do it WITHOUT any base? and if so, is a parchment lined regular 16” round cake pan going to do the trick?

2nd problem - cutting the darn thing…
WHAT IS THE TRICK to cutting a cheesecake of this size without it all sticking to the knife and taking 3hours to cut?

my thoughts are that i should cut the whole cake with dental floss BEFORE I assemble & decorate it… we’re not (so far) going to use any frosting, as we’re doing a raspberry white chocolate cheesecake with simply ribbon & roses…
but i don’t want it all marked up from cutting, and i’d hope that the dental floss trick will be tidy enough…

has anyone had to do this? and what happened?

many thanks in advance…

Posted: 05 June 2008 11:15 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2568
Joined  2007-11-15

Hi wildbristro - Welcome.  I only tried the dental floss trick once, and I found that it didn’t cut through the crust at all.  It’s also a little hard on your fingers since you have to pull the floss very tight.  Why don’t you try a practice tier?

Signature 

Come visit my blog at

http://butteryum.blogspot.com