1 of 2
Cookbooks 40% Off Starting Today
Posted: 22 July 2011 11:55 AM   [ Ignore ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1534
Joined  2011-02-17

Borders is now in liquidation.

I received a notice from Borders saying all their books are now 40% off. They are all final sale. 

I was there yesterday and they had 2 copies of TCB and one copy of RHC.

I hope this helps someone

Posted: 22 July 2011 03:33 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1329
Joined  2008-09-27
Flour Girl - 22 July 2011 02:55 PM

Borders is now in liquidation.

Really makes me sad.  I used to enjoy strolling up the street to Borders to hang out for a while.  Of course, I never bought anything.  wink

Ok, not entirely true, but mainly limited to magazines.

Signature 

If error is corrected whenever it is recognized as such, the path of error is the path of truth.

—Hans Reichenbach

Posted: 22 July 2011 04:21 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2011-02-17

I’m very sad about it too. I am familiar with the local Border’s employees and they are sad.  So many business’ are going under. It is a really sad state of affairs.

I did shop at Borders because I often received 30-40% off coupons. Also, they had a great return policy, unlike Barnes & Nobel who only allow 2 weeks to return a book. Sometimes, I don’t even get to look at it within 2 weeks.

One of the employees told he his store will be remaining open through September. I don’t know any information about the viability of borders.com.

Posted: 22 July 2011 05:03 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-09-27
Flour Girl - 22 July 2011 07:21 PM

I don?t know any information about the viability of borders.com.

Last I heard, total liquidation, although Books-a-Million was thinking about buying a handful of stores:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/business/thirty-borders-locations-could-stay-open-under-a-books-a-million-bid/2011/07/22/gIQAza6UTI_story.html

Borders is going under through mismanagement, not really due to the general state of the economy.  They’ve been faulted in three areas:

1)  Got into CDs late in the game, just when it was being supplanted by digital music,

2)  Late to online sales and then outsourced its business to Amazon, and

3)  Never made an appearance in the digital book market, now the fastest growing segment.

Signature 

If error is corrected whenever it is recognized as such, the path of error is the path of truth.

—Hans Reichenbach

Posted: 22 July 2011 07:49 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  94
Joined  2009-09-04

Don’t forget about your local independent bookstores. They may not be able to afford to offer the same discounts, but they’re all struggling to stay in business in this economy. The personal attention you’ll receive will be well worth paying full price for a book.

Posted: 22 July 2011 09:32 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-09-27
gpears - 22 July 2011 10:49 PM

Don’t forget about your local independent bookstores. They may not be able to afford to offer the same discounts, but they’re all struggling to stay in business in this economy. The personal attention you’ll receive will be well worth paying full price for a book.

I’m not aware of any independent shops locally, other than used book stores.  I think no matter what they economy, independent shops are doomed.  Most were driven out of business by the superstores, and any that remain will be done in by digital books.  There’s no sense in a physical presence when you can download anything you wish.

Signature 

—Hans Reichenbach

Posted: 22 July 2011 09:33 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2011-02-17

An update: I went to Borders with the intention of spending a gift card I received. I was going to stock up. Welllll, when I got there the 40% discount promised was now 10% off the original price. I spoke to an employee and he said Borders no longer exists. He could not understand how I received an email from Borders this morning.  Outside the store were people carrying signs and in very small print were the words “up to” after the 40% off.

This is deceptive to me but I am not surprised because my entire experience with Borders as of late was deceptive. Let me explain why…

There has been a huge drive to sign-up members, for $20 a year, for their “Rewards Plus” program.  The sales person told me I would get a “Free book worth $30 in July” and a “$10 off coupon in August” among other coupons which totaled a value of $300.

When the free $30 book coupon became viable, it wasn’t a book of my choice. Instead, you can pick from an array of 10 books ( and believe me, the choice was books nobody would want ). I ended up selecting a phonics book worth $3.99 instead of a $30 cookbook I was looking forward to getting.

I am sure the higher-up employees were aware of the imminent demise of the business yet they forged a campaign to elicit the $20 fee from as many people as they could, knowing full well the Rewards Pus program would cease to exist when Borders died.

I am really annoyed at this and the fact that I especially made a trip to Borders today, a half hour trip for me, to participate in a sale which wasn’t a sale at all.

Posted: 22 July 2011 09:40 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2011-02-17
CharlesT - 23 July 2011 12:32 AM
gpears - 22 July 2011 10:49 PM

I’m not aware of any independent shops locally, other than used book stores.  I think no matter what they economy, independent shops are doomed.  Most were driven out of business by the superstores, and any that remain will be done in by digital books.  There’s no sense in a physical presence when you can download anything you wish.

It seems as though the ‘mom and pop’ stores of the past are going the way of the dinosaurs in all business.

As for books, it is hard for any business to sell books when they compete with companies prefer to undersell their competitors and make it up in volume.

Posted: 22 July 2011 09:43 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2011-02-17
CharlesT - 22 July 2011 08:03 PM
Flour Girl - 22 July 2011 07:21 PM

I don?t know any information about the viability of borders.com.

Last I heard, total liquidation, although Books-a-Million was thinking about buying a handful of stores:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/business/thirty-borders-locations-could-stay-open-under-a-books-a-million-bid/2011/07/22/gIQAza6UTI_story.html

Borders is going under through mismanagement, not really due to the general state of the economy.  They’ve been faulted in three areas:

1)  Got into CDs late in the game, just when it was being supplanted by digital music,

2)  Late to online sales and then outsourced its business to Amazon, and

3)  Never made an appearance in the digital book market, now the fastest growing segment.

Thanks for the link Charles.  I wish Books-a-Million would save the store in my area but we aren’t on the list.

Posted: 22 July 2011 10:59 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3127
Joined  2010-04-25

Hi, FG!

Borders was the hub & self’s fave place to hang around on a Saturday or Sunday morning - go and have coffee and then browse magazines, usually buying one or two.  I also got all my weird ‘Euro’ cookbooks there.  They closed the store we went to in, I think, March.  Then Joseph Beth Books closed—it was the 2nd best and had a really good magazine collection.  Now all that’s left is Barnes & Noble, and we both really dislike the store and the clientelle.

The odd thing about Borders closing is that is was ALWAYS doing a lot of business.  Then they started opening later and later, so that much of their business wound up at Barnes & Noble (including ours, for a time, simply because they were open), which made little sense to me.

I remember the Borders Rewards thing, too, right on top of the closing!  It was very sleazy!

Anyway, I mourn their absence.  We definitely had mellow mornings there!

Posted: 23 July 2011 12:14 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2011-02-17

That sounds like a lovely way to spend a weekend morning. Even though I am upset about the way they conducted business in their terminal stage,

I will miss them too.  to me, this is one less option. It seems more and more options are dissipating.

Posted: 23 July 2011 07:27 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4741
Joined  2008-04-16

Speaking of downloading books, it looks like Amazon is having a sale on ebooks, including a number of cookbooks. smile

Signature 

B&T Blog:  Ultimate Cinnamon Rolls

Posted: 23 July 2011 08:21 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  24
Joined  2007-12-20

The Wall Street Journal has been regularly reporting the trouble at Borders.  When the special Rewards program came out, I thought it was a crazy effort to raise some cash for the company; even publishers haven’t wanted to ship books to them in the past few months, so bad was the outlook.  But I, too, liked the staff and store layout of my local Borders more than the other big box bookstore.  Yes, I, too, used the e-mail coupons all the time, but I also purchased other material as well in hopes of keeping Borders in my area.  It is a sad day for Borders lovers, but a sharp business lesson on reading the future!

Posted: 23 July 2011 11:55 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 13 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2011-02-17

I have not crossed over to reading e-books.  I only read forums online. For me, there is a glare and it is not as comforting as lying on the couch with a real book.

I feel an ebook would come in handy when I am traveling and an e-cookbook would come in handy when I want to cook for the people I visit; but, to take the place of real books…not so much for me

Posted: 23 July 2011 11:59 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 14 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2011-02-17
Opallady - 23 July 2011 11:21 AM

The Wall Street Journal has been regularly reporting the trouble at Borders.  When the special Rewards program came out, I thought it was a crazy effort to raise some cash for the company; even publishers haven’t wanted to ship books to them in the past few months, so bad was the outlook.  But I, too, liked the staff and store layout of my local Borders more than the other big box bookstore.  Yes, I, too, used the e-mail coupons all the time, but I also purchased other material as well in hopes of keeping Borders in my area.  It is a sad day for Borders lovers, but a sharp business lesson on reading the future!

I believe Barnes and Nobel filed chapter 11 a while ago. I hope they don’t suffer the same fate.

There are many stores which have gone out of business;  Linens And things, Hollywood Video and now Borders, to mention a few.  Yet construction crews are building more malls and shopping centers everywhere you look. I don’t get it???

Posted: 23 July 2011 07:46 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 15 ]
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-09-27
Flour Girl - 23 July 2011 02:55 PM

I have not crossed over to reading e-books.  I only read forums online. For me, there is a glare and it is not as comforting as lying on the couch with a real book.

No glare with a Kindle, and the one-handed operation is quite convenient.  But not really suitable for reading online stuff.  I have saved some web pages out as .html and then had Amazon convert it to Kindle format, but that’s not really convenient.

I agree that an e-book isn’t a perfect replacement for a real book, but it does have numerous advantages, too.  And the economics of production are so compelling that I expect that printed books will eventually go extinct, just like vinyl records.

Signature 

—Hans Reichenbach

1 of 2

‹‹ Water content of Maple Syrup      Sourdough ››