what is your favorite pudding recipe
Posted: 24 July 2011 10:38 PM   [ Ignore ]
Rank
Total Posts:  8
Joined  2011-07-24

I want to make a dessert with pudding, I’m curious what is any ones favorite pudding recipe from Rose’s recipes.  Guide me, I’d like to try a pudding recipe, but not with chocolate, can you believe I’m not that fond of chocolate?

Posted: 24 July 2011 11:01 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  3128
Joined  2010-04-25

Hi, Freesia!

Welcome!

I haven’t made this yet—I plan to in October—but I hear the Apple Caramel Charlotte is fabulous.  Many of the charlottes have a custard (Bavarian cream) filling which, I thnk, is pudding (more or less).  This has a caramel bavaraian cream.  Maybe you’d like it?  If not, scope other charlottes and Bavarian cream recipes!

—ak

Posted: 25 July 2011 07:30 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4741
Joined  2008-04-16

I don’t think Rose has an American-style pudding recipe (made with cornstarch), but she does have a number of custard-based recipes.

There’s a coffee panna cotta on this site, over on the blog. http://www.realbakingwithrose.com/2005/11/coffee_my_quest_for_perfection.html

The pastry cream from the Boston Cream Pie in Rose’s Heavenly cakes is very good, but not sure if it is thick enough to serve as stand alone pudding.

My all-time favorite is the chiboust cream, listed in both the Pie/Pastry Bible and in Rose’s Heavenly Cakes.  This is pastry cream lightened with whipped cream.

There’s also a creme brulee recipe in the Pie/Pastry Bible.  Hers uses a pasty shell, but you could also make it in ramekins.

Signature 

B&T Blog:  Ultimate Cinnamon Rolls

Posted: 26 July 2011 11:35 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  69
Joined  2010-03-20

Isn’t pastry cream nothing but thick vanilla pudding? A comparison of recipes shows that that is exactly what it is. To make it thinner use milk instead of half-and-half and maybe use a little less cornstarch. Other than that, everything remains basically the same. I have compared quite a few recipes and I cannot see any other differences (some people vary the quantities, but that’s it).

Rose has a recipe for a “satiny-rich chocolate pudding” (her words) in the Pie and Pastry bible (page 202). But at the end of the recipe in the “Understanding” section she admits that it is actually a pastry cream with 2/3 the amount of cornstarch (and eggs because the chocolate has a thickening property as well), and milk instead of half-and-half.

Posted: 27 July 2011 08:32 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4741
Joined  2008-04-16
Jose Lugo - 26 July 2011 02:35 PM

Isn’t pastry cream nothing but thick vanilla pudding?

I guess “pudding” is a fairly loose term, I was thinking of it as being a very simple prepration, oftentimes thickened only with starch (no egg).

Signature 

B&T Blog:  Ultimate Cinnamon Rolls

‹‹ When lemons go on sale!!!      Pineapple Cake ››