Pineapple Cake
Posted: 27 July 2011 12:38 AM   [ Ignore ]
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  84
Joined  2011-06-06

Hi everyone!

A friend of mine is having a birthday party and wanted a pineapple cake.  Not a pineapple upside-down cake, just a white cake with pineapple filling.  She gave me creative license but said no coconut.

I decided to use some white velvet cake I had left over from last month, soak it in an amaretto syrup and then make a crushed pineapple filling. 

I was also thinking about using a torched meringue for the outside and dried pineapple ‘flowers’ and roasted almond slices to decorate. 

Do you guys think I should do some sort of cream filling instead? OR a pineapple curd?  I’m worried the pineapple filling will be too sweet with the meringue, but I dunno…
My brain is so fried after being on vacation for the last week, I can’t decide anything!

I appreciate the input!

Posted: 27 July 2011 02:35 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  378
Joined  2010-04-09

OK, I know this is almost blasphemous to post this on the site…but my mother makes this “pineapple cake” recipe and everyone who has it, loves it.  She takes a box of pineapple cake mix, and mixes in a small can of crushed pineapple, with some of the juice (not sure exactly how much), then frosts it with whipped cream.  It does come out really moist and pineapple-y, even I must admit.  Maybe you can use the white velvet recipe and just mix in the can of pineapple…!

Posted: 27 July 2011 08:51 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4839
Joined  2008-04-16

I made a pineapple cake a while back which also used white velvet and pineapple filling.  For me, the meringue might be a bit sweet without some bitter or tart element like dark chocolate or lemon to offset the sweetness.  But I am definitely a not-too-sweet person, perhaps your group is different.

I made the pineapple puree in the Cake Bible, then firmed that with agar (gelatin would work well, too) for the filling.  For the frosting, I made the pineapple neoclassic and then used the syrup left over from the puree, with a very small amount of rum added, to moisten the cake.  I also added a little rum to the buttercream. 

If you want to stick with the meringue, perhaps use lime or lemon juice for part of the water in the sugar syrup?  That would blend nicely with the pineapple and help offset the sweetness.

Signature 

Brød & Taylor Test Kitchen:  Peanut Butter Cups, All Grown Up

Posted: 27 July 2011 06:40 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  69
Joined  2010-03-20
Loopy - 27 July 2011 05:35 AM

OK, I know this is almost blasphemous to post this on the site…but my mother makes this “pineapple cake” recipe and everyone who has it, loves it.  She takes a box of pineapple cake mix, and mixes in a small can of crushed pineapple, with some of the juice (not sure exactly how much), then frosts it with whipped cream.  It does come out really moist and pineapple-y, even I must admit.  Maybe you can use the white velvet recipe and just mix in the can of pineapple…!

This sounds something like what Paula Deen does, but she uses a yellow cake mix. Her recipe is called “Better than sex cake”, pineapple version (she also has a chocolate version). It has an average rating of 4.5 out of 5 in Allrecipes.com.

Posted: 27 July 2011 11:38 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  84
Joined  2011-06-06

Maybe I will do a lemon syrup for the cake.  I could always do a torched amaretto meringue….  I’m hell bent on the meringue so I don’t have to do any fancy decorating since my time this week is unbelievably limited.

I finally just decided to break open one of the torte cakes I made and froze and test the recipe.  One with lemon syrup in the cake, one with amaretto syrup.  If only I had left-over meringue!!

Posted: 29 July 2011 06:25 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1214
Joined  2009-11-24
Julie - 27 July 2011 11:51 AM

I made a pineapple cake a while back which also used white velvet and pineapple filling.  For me, the meringue might be a bit sweet without some bitter or tart element like dark chocolate or lemon to offset the sweetness.  But I am definitely a not-too-sweet person, perhaps your group is different.

I made the pineapple puree in the Cake Bible, then firmed that with agar (gelatin would work well, too) for the filling.  For the frosting, I made the pineapple neoclassic and then used the syrup left over from the puree, with a very small amount of rum added, to moisten the cake.  I also added a little rum to the buttercream. 

If you want to stick with the meringue, perhaps use lime or lemon juice for part of the water in the sugar syrup?  That would blend nicely with the pineapple and help offset the sweetness.

This sounds delicious..I am going to save it for later!!!

Signature 

So many recipes - so little time.