Miette Fiasco
Posted: 28 July 2011 09:10 PM   [ Ignore ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1333
Joined  2008-09-27

Some of you may have seen that the Miette book has been withdrawn from the market due to being riddled with errors.  Amazon is promising new copies once it has been corrected, so kudos to either them or the publisher.

So, whose fault?  The editor?  the authors?  Both?

Signature 

If error is corrected whenever it is recognized as such, the path of error is the path of truth.

—Hans Reichenbach

Posted: 29 July 2011 02:50 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  631
Joined  2008-01-24

Sadly it seems like there is plenty of blame to go around. 1/4 cup salt instead of 1/4 tsp should have been caught by the author and the editor and the proof reader. Oh never mind can’t blame the proof reader. No publishers hire them anymore. “Run it through spell check and call it good,” seems to be their motto.

Signature 

“This pizza is a symphony of flavors”

Posted: 29 July 2011 11:37 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4746
Joined  2008-04-16

I try to be understanding about the difficulty in completely eliminating errors in books, but I must say that nothing turns me against a book or author more quickly than spending hours of time and quality ingredients on a recipe that doesn’t work due to errors.  The most frequent problems I come across seem to stem from recipes being scaled down from bakery sizes to home kitchen sizes. 

Every cookbook author or publisher should have errata posted on the web. 

It’s great, though that it’s being recalled and fixed.  smile

Signature 

B&T Blog:  Ultimate Cinnamon Rolls

Posted: 29 July 2011 12:12 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  631
Joined  2008-01-24

These kinds of stories make me appreciate the extraordinary effort that Rose puts into her work.

Signature 

“This pizza is a symphony of flavors”

Posted: 29 July 2011 12:39 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1534
Joined  2011-02-17

Absolutely Gene! If there is one thing I can count on it is Rose’s recipes always work. Her ingredients are the perfect amount for the pan and the timing is always, always perfect.

With every other book I have, I ignore the time of baking, set my timer for less time and keep checking.

Some of the times are really out of the ball park as in Maida Heatter’s “Book Of Great Desserts” and Joanne Chang’s “Flour”

Posted: 07 August 2011 09:13 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  4746
Joined  2008-04-16

Yes, I’m with you there- so grateful for Rose’s attention to detail, thorough testing and posting of errata!  I will rarely trust my time and ingredients to another author.

Signature 

B&T Blog:  Ultimate Cinnamon Rolls

Posted: 09 August 2011 10:25 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1153
Joined  2009-11-24
Julie - 07 August 2011 12:13 PM

Yes, I’m with you there- so grateful for Rose’s attention to detail, thorough testing and posting of errata!  I will rarely trust my time and ingredients to another author.

Ditto!!  I so happened to be telling someone today:  I have one author I can always trust.  I really appreciate the effort she has put in testing…and supplementing that with this blog/forum!!

Signature 

So many recipes - so little time.