Fondant Recipe
Posted: 30 July 2011 07:31 AM   [ Ignore ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  129
Joined  2011-01-21

Hello Everyone!
  I haven’t posted in a while - i have still been baking - but i have also been very busy with work.
I have never been a fan of the taste of fondant - it looks gorgeous on cakes but the taste - at least the cakes i have had, have always been very sugary and ruins the cake flavor.  Just as I prefer real butter cream (such as Rose’s recipes - compared to crisco and sugar)
I haven’t tried Rose’s recipe yet - that is on my list - but does anyone have a good fondant cake that does not taste like i am eating pure sugar?

Thanks!

Posted: 30 July 2011 12:15 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  880
Joined  2009-05-25

Hi!  Welcome back… I’ve been away too wink.  I agree with you re: fondant.  I’ve made Rose’s fondant and I still am not sold—it is, after all, mostly sugar.  Similar to an oreo’s filling—maybe less sweet.  Her chocolate fondant is awesome, though—use Spectrum Organic shortening if you make it.

Posted: 30 July 2011 12:47 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  129
Joined  2011-01-21

Thanks!
I will definitely try the chocolate fondant…

Posted: 30 July 2011 06:12 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  4
Joined  2011-07-30
littlelottie - 30 July 2011 10:31 AM

Hello Everyone!
  I haven’t posted in a while - i have still been baking - but i have also been very busy with work.
I have never been a fan of the taste of fondant - it looks gorgeous on cakes but the taste - at least the cakes i have had, have always been very sugary and ruins the cake flavor.  Just as I prefer real butter cream (such as Rose’s recipes - compared to crisco and sugar)
I haven’t tried Rose’s recipe yet - that is on my list - but does anyone have a good fondant cake that does not taste like i am eating pure sugar?

Thanks!

I agree. That is also my comment with some fondant cakes. But there are still some bakers that lessen the sugar content of their fondant cakes. I have this favorite baker and he gets the right blend of fondant cake.

Signature 

China Trading Company - http://www.themiddlem.com/company.html

Posted: 05 August 2011 03:13 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  87
Joined  2010-12-04

I just wanted to add to that Rose’s chocolate fondant recipe is AMAZING! I’ve had 100% success with that recipe compared to the regular fondant recipe and it really does taste like a tootsy-roll.

I’ve recently switched to making marshmallow fondant… because it almost seemed to easy to make, I’ve stayed away from it (meaning that I can’t believe mixing marshmallows and powdered sugar together would work so well..) BUT it has changed my view of working with fondant, and I’ve found it much more user friendly - at least for the type you make at home. I seem to like the taste a bit better to… but it’s hard to say, because it is still fondant tasting smile